Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austro-Hungarian Empire / Jubilee Medal 1898 - St&L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austro-Hungarian Empire / Jubilee Medal 1898 - St&L?

Hello,

This example has just arrived. The finish is totally different to a pre WW1 original medal, look "new", what do you think, can this be a post WW2 made piece?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Andrew

Attached Files

Hi Andrew,

As you may be aware, these medals were struck in two version one being for civilian and the other military. These were typically gilded in bronze or gold and the ribbon denoted whether it was civilian or military issue. As this is a red ribbon, this is the military issue, however the medal itself should be gilded bronze or gilded gold. I cannot tell on my ipad whether this medal is gilded, so that is my first question. Secondly, if there are traces of gilding left then this would be an original where the gilding has deteriorated over time and handling. If there is no gilding whatsoever then this could be a contemporary cast making it a fake. I am not aware of S&L ever casting this medal and I have handled many of these over the years.

Marcus

Comment

Andrew,

I have compared yours to several originals, and there are many many flaws and the preciseness or crispness in the lettering does not appear to be there. I am compelled to think based on comparisons to the originals that this is a contemporary cast. By whom, that I cannot be certain of, however the quality just is not there.

Marcus.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X