Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Cross 2nd Class to review

Hello Gents,

This magnetic example has just come, what do you think? The frame is darker than the examples I have seen before.

Thanks.

Andrew
    Attached Files

Hello Andrew,
    interesting but strange cross for me.

The core is similar to a S&L piece, but not identical.

I'm a little bit confused at the moment :-(.

best regards
    Pattex

Comment

Not too keen on this one......
      The core is in the S&L style, but it is the earlier style with the higher "3" in 1813, and also being magnetic it should be an early piece, but it does'nt look anything like an early S&L....
      The frame is wrong, both in finish and its unequal appearance, the suspension loop is very thick, and not soldered in the normal way....
      So for me, i think it is a fake based on an S&L original, we see many in the EK1 type, not so many as a 2nd class!!
      -Nigel
      sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Thanks Guys. Does this mean that even magnetic cores can be fake?

Comment

I am curious, why would someone go to this extent to create a copy when these medals are not that expensive in the first place? Going through this trouble to create a magnetic core, 3 piece 57er EK2 just does not make sense. Could there possibly be other established artisans such as Deumer, Dreschler or others, etc., that created these pieces in the wake of Germany creating the 1957 law? It just seems that these pieces are to well constructed to be created by someone trying to duplicate a true 57 piece. Andrew, what are the dimensions of this piece in mm? I have a piece also that is slightly smaller than your regular 57er S&L EK2 and wonder if these are by the same maker. I posted mine in a thread on here a few months back.

Thoughts?

Marcus

Comment

Hello Marcus,

The frame is 44.2 mm. Honestly I don't know what to say because the cross is hand looks really fine, quite a heavy piece. Also the rust on the core does not seem to be ageing, this piece looks to me a well made cross, apart from the soldering around the eyelet.

???

Andrew

Comment

I believe that with the information slope you share, it will bring a lot of value to the readers and I hope that they will absorb the good and useful things.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X