Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP to Identify Ribbons

Hello gentlemen,

I have some ribbons taken from a post-1957 German uniform. I would like to count on your help to discover which are the last 3 ribons of this set.

Thanks
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-30 at 18.18.36.jpeg

Can we see the entire ribbon bar?

Thanks

Marcus

Comment

1.Order of Merit with swords, commander's cross (Hungary)
      2. ?
      3. Order of the Star with swords, commander's cross (Romania)

Pierre

Comment

1. As stated above
        2. Order of Merit commander with swords for Bulgaria.
        3. As stated above

Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by mevm36 View Post
          Can we see the entire ribbon bar?

Thanks

Marcus
          Hello Marcus,

yes, there is the entire ribbon bar. He came with a pin stick collection.
          Yes, here is the entire tape bar. He came with a collection of brooches, I will send a picture of them too.

I managed to identify the majority. But I don't have much knowledge to give them a dating.

Some pins I was not able to identify very well such as the pin "R", the iron cross inscribed "G.D.R", the moose and the pin with the inscriptions DSK / VdS.

What I would really like to know is if there is any from the second war period, since most of them seem to me from the post-war period.

There is also a medal from the veterans' association. I didn't find much reference about.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the previous answers!

Comment

sorry, i posted the images twice.

Comment

Originally posted by joão antônio View Post

I managed to identify the majority. But I don't have much knowledge to give them a dating.

Some pins I was not able to identify very well such as the pin "R", the iron cross inscribed "G.D.R", the moose and the pin with the inscriptions DSK / VdS.
                All are post-war.

"DSBK/VdS" means "Deutscher Soldatenbund Kyffhäuser / Verband deutscher Soldaten". The coat-of-arms is that of the state of Schleswig-Holstein, so this is surely an honor pin of the organisation's SH state association.

"GdR" means "Gemeinschaft der Ritterkreuzträger". It was founded in 1952 and re-named "Ordensgemeinschaft der Ritterkreuzträger" in 1960.

The red moose head on the black-and-white shield is the coat-of-arms of the 11. Infanterie-Division. Apparently, a membership pin of a divisional veterans' association.

Unless I am very much mistaken, the "R" stickpin is for the Bundeswehr's Reservistenverband. (It's in the same font as the "R" used on other badges and insignia for BW reservists.)
                Last edited by HPL2008; 09-01-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Thats a great ribbon bar, with a very interesting combination of awards.......that guy saw some action, over a long period!!!!
                  -Nigel
                  sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel N View Post
                    Thats a great ribbon bar, with a very interesting combination of awards.......that guy saw some action, over a long period!!!!
                    -Nigel
                    I agree with Nigel. This is a very interesting ribbon bar and one that should be able to be identified to an individual as the awards not only indicate that he was a veteran of the first world war, but also a high ranking officer as indicated by the Ritterkreuz as well as the foreign “Orders” that were only issued to officers. If he were an enlisted man, the “Orders” would have been the corresponding “Awards” for non-officers. The Hungarian, Bulgarian and Romanian Commanders cross awards were issued in limited numbers to frontline staff officers of the Wehrmacht and as such having not one, but all three orders presented to this individual, he should be able to be identified.

Marcus

Comment

A little off topic but here are some very good pictures of SS-Obersturmbannführer Fritz Witt (Kommandeur SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment 1 / SS-Division [Moterized)] "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler") being presented the Romanian Order of the Star by Sepp Dietrich.

Marcus

Comment

I did some research and can now offer a possible wearer of this ribbon bar: Gerhard Matzky.

A career officer who served in the Imperial Army, the Reichswehr, the Wehrmacht and the Bundeswehr, he is on record as the recipient of the following German awards and decorations:
                        • Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes
                        • Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz I. Klasse
                        • Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz II. Klasse
                        • Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse
                        • Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse
                        • Kriegsverdienstkreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern
                        • Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern
                        • Hamburgisches Hanseatenkreuz
                        • Sachsen-Meiningisches Ehrenkreuz für Verdienst im Kriege
                        • Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber
                        • Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer
                        • Wehrmacht-Dienstauszeichnungen I. - IV. Klasse
                        • Großes Verdienstkreuz mit Stern des Verdienstordens der Bundesrepublik Deutschland

Except for the last one (awarded in 1960, which may well have been after the bar was assembled), all of these decorations are present on the ribbon bar.

Also, we know he served with the Grenzschutz Ost in Upper Silesia (supporting the presence of the Silesian Eagle I. and II. Class [1st and 2nd ribbon in the third row]) and as a military attaché in Tokyo (supporting the presence of the Order of the Rising Sun [3rd ribbon in the fourth row]).

Sources:
                        http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/.../M/MatzkyG.htm
                        https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Matzky
                        http://www.geocities.ws/orion47.geo/...Y_GERHARD.html
                        Last edited by HPL2008; 09-01-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post

All are post-war.

"DSBK/VdS" means "Deutscher Soldatenbund Kyffhäuser / Verband deutscher Soldaten". The coat-of-arms is that of the state of Schleswig-Holstein, so this is surely an honor pin of the organisation's SH state association.

"GdR" means "Gemeinschaft der Ritterkreuzträger". It was founded in 1952 and re-named "Ordensgemeinschaft der Ritterkreuzträger" in 1960.

The red moose head on the black-and-white shield is the coat-of-arms of the 11. Infanterie-Division. Apparently, a membership pin of a divisional veterans' association.

Unless I am very much mistaken, the "R" stickpin is for the Bundeswehr's Reservistenverband. (It's in the same font as the "R" used on other badges and insignia for BW reservists.)

Thank you very much for your answers!!! They were very enlightening!

I thank everyone's comments too

In fact, they reallly belonged to Matzky. I got them in a small set with his son's wife. there were also some pictures with an American general and and other people. Some photos are named after them. But they are slightly blurred. I don't know some of themWhatsApp Image 2020-09-01 at 18.49.23.jpeg​​​​​​​. Maybe they can help me.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A most impressive ribbon bar, and named too! The foreign awards are:

-Japanese Order of the Rising Sun (grade unknown)
                            -Finnish Order of Liberty 1st Class with Swords
                            -Hungarian Order of Merit with Swords, Commander Cross
                            -Bulgarian Order of Merit with Swords, Commander Cross
                            -Romanian Order of the Star, Commander Cross

Kind regards,
                            Pierce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X