Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions re: 57er S&L Luftwaffe Fallschirmjäger badge

Hello gents.

So I just received my early/mid S&L luftwaffe fallschirmjager badge (thanks Mark!) and I have some questions regarding a second badge that I already owned. So the badge on the left is my new early badge with closed hinge block and narrow pin catch. The badge on the right is my old badge which is also a closed hinge block with a little wider pin catch. Now my question being:

The badge on the right is identical in every way to the early badge on the left with the exception of the pin clasp. This clasp (badge on right) is not as wide as your typical later badges with open hinge block, but not at narrow as the early pin clasp on the badge on the left. Is the badge on the right a very well produced fake or is the pin catch just a narrow catch that happens to be a little wider than normal.

Note that the pin catch on the right badge again is not as wide as your typical open blocked pin catch even though it looks wide in the pics.

Please help on this one, as if it is a fake, then at least I can add it to the fake bin!

Thanks so much

Marcus

Nothing wrong with either piece!!
    As you said, one is later than the the other, but there were variations in the thickness of the flat wire used for catches etc.
    But thinner for early and thicker for later is usually correct, although S&L are known for sometimes using older hardware on later pieces, they must have found some old stock at some point and made use of it!!!!
    -Nigel
    sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel N View Post
      Nothing wrong with either piece!!
      As you said, one is later than the the other, but there were variations in the thickness of the flat wire used for catches etc.
      But thinner for early and thicker for later is usually correct, although S&L are known for sometimes using older hardware on later pieces, they must have found some old stock at some point and made use of it!!!!
      -Nigel
      Hi Nigel,

You stated that S&L are known for using older hardware on later pieces. As both these pieces are closed hinge blocks, that would make them earlier pieces, however the one piece has a little wider pin catch. Is this still the case where the pin catch itself my be a little “off” (or wider) where if it is a closed hinge block, under normal circumstances it should be a narrow pin catch?

Thanks so much

Marcus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X