Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identifying 57er EK2

Hello Gents,

I need some help with this one. I received this in the mail after waiting 3 months for it to arrive. This is a 3 piece construction, non magnetic EK2. It is somewhat smaller than my S&L. Below are pics I have attached. The first pic is my S&L on the left and the unknown on the right showing the size discrepancy between both makes. The rest of the pics are close ups of the dates on the piece and so on.
    What make is this?

Thanks so much

Marcus
    BFB89703-F3AB-4003-9A40-5DDB0D12EBB2.jpeg 2599B127-4AD1-43CD-A5F5-6AD585AD1605.jpeg A8B6EF87-E13F-47BB-8E1A-DDED92F547E5.jpeg DA42D810-1F75-47D6-AFD6-7D16A04EF8BF.jpeg C9F38707-5700-4F71-A50F-B10ADF83382E.jpeg E6A75A3C-B0A6-4552-B726-C8BC0F5406FC.jpeg 49DC7EE5-179E-4617-8F36-A01EFC952499.jpeg

Mystery solved. I have found the ‘3’ on the ribbon ring, After viewing under my loope, I believe it is a 3 in circle. It is difficult to tell for sure but 98 percent certain it is a 3. So from that it appears to be a Deumer.

Marcus

Comment

Does'nt appear to be a factory finished piece, either the "1939" has replaced a "1914", or a 57 core has been put into an earlier frame??
      Does the black core paint on the obverse, match that on the reverses??
      -Nigel
      sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like a Frankenstein to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel N View Post
          Does'nt appear to be a factory finished piece, either the "1939" has replaced a "1914", or a 57 core has been put into an earlier frame??
          Does the black core paint on the obverse, match that on the reverses??
          -Nigel
          The paint matches on both sides after carefully observing using a loope and at different angles to catch the light. Could this also be an 8 for Ferdinand Hoffsttter-Bonn?
          M.

7497E274-385F-431D-A34F-FFAB88F8CA5A.jpeg 3845FAA5-4D02-44C5-A453-70F51512B67D.jpeg

Comment

I guess whoever repainted it painted both sides, very typical.

Comment

This piece is also symmetrical measuring 41mm across so being 3 mm shorter than the standard iron cross and the core is made of brass as there is some brass showing through near the upper right arm along the interior edge.

M.

1A84CAC1-2952-465C-8906-1DBFE6781B5B.jpeg

Comment

Yeah, I would concur with a Frankenstein cross. The core itself seems a good Deschler, everything else however (frame, paint, soldering) is just plain horrible.

Regards,
                Nick

Comment

Those photo's showing the edges of the frame are the give-away....looks like an amateur soldering job......
                  The core looks like a Deschler, as Nick said, they are famous for losing their core paint and are often either partially or totally re-painted.... They are also non-magnetic, which matches with your assesment of the base metal!!
                  Its certainly no "true" 57er, but is an interesting home-made conversion...strange that someone went to the trouble, when 57ers were readily available???
                  -Nigel
                  sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel N View Post
                    Those photo's showing the edges of the frame are the give-away....looks like an amateur soldering job......
                    The core looks like a Deschler, as Nick said, they are famous for losing their core paint and are often either partially or totally re-painted.... They are also non-magnetic, which matches with your assesment of the base metal!!
                    Its certainly no "true" 57er, but is an interesting home-made conversion...strange that someone went to the trouble, when 57ers were readily available???
                    -Nigel
                    Yes this certainly is an interesting piece indeed. The frame itself, being 41mm, is this an old WK1 EK2 frame? I do know that Godet made smaller sized frames.

Marcus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X