LF&C 1918 to 82nd AB hero Kia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LF&C 1918 to 82nd AB hero Kia

I’ve been meaning to post this on the forum for some time & was inspired to do so after NZMarks post on his NZ 3rd Div LF&C.

This is a group I have owned for many years. It's a combination of desirable militaria with wonderful provenance which is hard to beat in the world of collecting.

I'll let the citation and images tell the rest of the story.

All comments welcome.

Thanks
    Mike

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to First Lieutenant (Infantry) Howard A. Kemble (ASN: 0-1311163), United States Army, for gallantry in action while serving in Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, in action on 20 December 1944, near ****, Belgium. First Lieutenant Kemble's platoon was pressed into action after the first two assault waves on the town were badly depleted and disorganized by heavy casualties. While moving forward over the flat, open terrain crossed with barbed wire fences, the platoon came under the observed fire of two cannons and a freshly committed enemy platoon. Only through the cool courage and superior leadership displayed by First Lieutenant Kemble as he moved fearlessly around among his men in order to better direct and exhort them onward was the platoon able to advance 200 yards. Five out of the platoon's eight machine gun crews had now been killed or wounded; further advance would have been suicidal. First Lieutenant Kemble, after ordering his men to dig in on a defensive line, took a machine gun to a position 50 yards in front of his men and gave them covering fire until they were safely dug in, expending five boxes of ammunition in the process. The full concentration of the enemy fire was placed on this lone target; bullets ripped through his clothing and ricocheted off his gun, but First Lieutenant Kemble remained steadfast. After his men had been entrenched safely without further casualties, he returned to the rear and collected all the company overhead with which he strengthened his defensive line so expertly that this regrouped unit was able to break up two determined enemy counterattacks with heavy casualties. Throughout this entire vital action, the unsurpassed courage and inspiring leadership displayed by First Lieutenant Kemble made such a profound impression on his men that their performance was above that expected in the call of duty. The eventual successful completion of his company's mission can be attributed largely to the impetus provided by First Lieutenant Kemble at a critical juncture in the attack. First Lieutenant Kemble was killed in action the next day while leading a subsequent assault. The memory of his actions at ****,Belgium, will serve as a lasting inspiration to all who witnessed them.
    General Orders: Headquarters, 82d Airborne Division, General Orders No. 14 (February 2, 1945)

Action Date: December 20, 1944

Service: Army

Company: Headquarters Company

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regiment: 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment

Division: 82d Airborne Division
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike39; 01-21-2020, 11:02 PM.

I really like the medals !

is that knife modern engraved ? or I am the only one who thinks this looks computer / laser engraved ?

Comment

Whenever I see a old news article that's been laminated I get worried. There was a guy on ebay who was engraving hearts and stars and more and putting groups together with laminated articles. I also am not comfortable with the engraving. I hope I'm wrong. Let's see what others say.

Comment

This group really makes me uneasy. The trench knife the medals and the article all look suspicious

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Smith View Post
          This group really makes me uneasy. The trench knife the medals and the article all look suspicious
          Ty - You think medals are bad too ? pictures of medal engraving are not so clear.... I thought only knife was really bad

Comment

Medals are not my speciality but that is not a WWII posthumous engraving. Please someone tell me if I’m incorrect.

Comment

The engraving is not official hand engraving and the knife looks to be laser engraved. I'm not liking any of it.

Comment

The faker that I was referring to is "bobvn3" but when I search here, there are threads warning about him but all ebay links are now dead. If you go to the US Militaria Forum and do a search then much comes up. I also saw that he branched out into falsely engraving blades. Again, sorry for the bad news if I'm correct.

Comment

Originally posted by dhcoleterracina View Post
                  The faker that I was referring to is "bobvn3" but when I search here, there are threads warning about him but all ebay links are now dead. If you go to the US Militaria Forum and do a search then much comes up. I also saw that he branched out into falsely engraving blades. Again, sorry for the bad news if I'm correct.
                  and here is this:
                  http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...e-purple-heart

same:
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?p=3924359

all bad...

BOBVN style:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...rt-bronze-star
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Michael Kuligowski; 01-23-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Sad news

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X