Philadelphia's Tribute to two "Band of Brothers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philadelphia's Tribute to two "Band of Brothers"

Philadelphia has created a memorial tribute to Babe Heffron and Bill Guarnere, two Easy Company members who were from South Philadelphia (and proud of it; they usually added "So. Philly" to their autographs).
    There were a lot of guys in the airborne who were from Philadelphia and Pennsylvania generally.

https://www.inquirer.com/life/willia...-20191228.html
    Attached Files

That's a great tribute
    Nice Job Philly

Comment

Yep! And also a nice pic of the two vets!

Comment

great job Philly!! We can't forget these heroes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The funny thing is that I knew Babe for a number of years (and I certainly met Bill), and I don't think that either Babe or Bill Guarnere would have been thrilled about statues of themselves being erected (although I am personally glad that it was done). In the very first conversation that I ever had with Babe, I made a comment about his new found fame, and he replied, with great seriousness: "There were 16 million of us serving. Nobody was more important than anybody else." When he died, there was not even a published obituary for Babe, as per his specific instructions. Babe told me that he viewed three groups as being the true "heroes" of the war:
          - Those who did not return;
          - The military chaplains, who went into battle unarmed and who gave comfort to the living and to the wounded;
          - And the mothers of all of the men and women who went off to war.

Babe was a heck of a guy, very modest and very funny.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, Bill. It's a very nice tribute.
            Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
            The funny thing is that I knew Babe for a number of years (and I certainly met Bill), and I don't think that either Babe or Bill Guarnere would have been thrilled about statues of themselves being erected ...
            You're probably right about that, but I do like the comments from Babe Heffron’s daughter: <BLOCKQUOTE>But Heffron’s daughter, Trisha Zavrel, said she warmed to the idea of her father and his best friend inspiring others.

"He was so proud of the old neighborhood," said Zavrel, 57, of Marlton. “Maybe some kid will look at him and go, ‘Look at what this kid from 2nd Street did. Maybe I can do something pretty cool, too.’”</BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

I spent a few Saturday nights over Bill's house with other 101 vets eating pizza and drinking beer; heard a few of Bill's war stories first hand during those get-togethers. The thing that gets me is the number of people that were hounding these guys for profit. Not only the numerous book deals but the autograph seekers were out of control.

Comment

Babe told me that he had been offered money to "authenticate" military items as having been his from the war. He declined, of course.

Comment

Anyone have a close-up of the inscription on the plaque?

Comment

Here you go:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, however, is there an explanation of the statues for visitors to know the meaning?

Comment

At least there will be no one wanting to topple these statues.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasuberalles View Post
                          Don't hold your breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasuberalles View Post

In South Philly???
                            That would probably be a VERY unwise (and unhealthy) thing to try!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X