End of an Era in Berlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of an Era in Berlin

Sadly, my favourite Burger Diner "Uncle Sams" closed forever, because of Age for Retirement.
    Sadly nobody wanted to proceed, even the Kids.
    Nice Guy, allway's hobbling a bit after he messed up his feet in the Swamps and rice fields of Vietnam.

As with other Places in Berlin, Like Cafe Dakota or Taste of America, I was the last Customer at these places.

Many of our Members knew this Place, from our Berlin School Trip when I brought you there or maybe some even know him from his Berlin Brigade times when he was Manager of the Starlight Grove at McNair Barracks.

One of the things I got from him was this Sign, he took down in 94 when Turner was closed, the Workers said it will end in the Scrap, so when using the AAFES Filling Station he saw it and got it.
    Maybe some of our Member will recall these.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by uscob; 12-28-2019, 01:53 AM.

Thanks Nico for showing the sign. Nice piece of history.
    Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

I still regret turning down a Berlin assignment.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong?
        Are you related to the 502nd?
        Some Small Pieces from my Collection.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by uscob View Post
          Maybe I'm wrong?
          Are you related to the 502nd?
          Some Small Pieces from my Collection.
          Never knew who I'd be with over in Berlin. Lost out on the Occupation Medal but made up for it in a few thousand dollars in TDY money.

Did a few raids with the 502nd as my backup.

Comment

Nico,

I remember those signs as well as the Starlight Club at McNair..

The club was right across the street from my barracks.. I was in B Co. 6/502nd. Some of the best times in my 22 year Army career were spent in Berlin..

One of the best decisions I made was to reenlist for Berlin after my first assignment at Ft Campbell, Ky..

When I arrived in February 1987 my Battalion was in Wildflecken so I had the chance to do some exploring prior to their return. I had to wait to see the museum in the Clock Tower until they returned, but that was one of the best kept secrets at McNair..

Sad to see many of the remnants of our presence in the city are no longer there or torn down.. I have not been back to Berlin since I left after the Wall came down but I have enjoyed your posts on the topic and the photos of some of the areas I recall going to and seeing on a daily basis..

thank you again

Coincidentally, the Commander of F Co. 40th Armor when I was in Berlin was Captain Dana Pittard. I only knew of him since he was our Armor support for the Infantry Battalions, but our paths would cross almost 20 years later when he was the Commanding General of the 1st Armored Division at Fort Bliss, Texas. General Pittard and I became close friends and when he was leaving Fort Bliss for his next assignment he gave me 2 of his uniforms, a desert uniform when he was a Colonel and his complete dress green uniform with all his decorations and badges. He also gave me a hand embroidered cross stitched needlepoint 40th Armor wall hanging that his wife made... Great memories again...

Best regards and Happy New Year

Leigh
            Last edited by Rakkasan187; 01-03-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

One of my friends was in the 101st in Berlin in 77-79. He loved it there.

Comment

Originally posted by uscob View Post
                Sadly, my favourite Burger Diner "Uncle Sams" closed forever, because of Age for Retirement.
                Sadly nobody wanted to proceed, even the Kids.
                Nice Guy, allway's hobbling a bit after he messed up his feet in the Swamps and rice fields of Vietnam.

As with other Places in Berlin, Like Cafe Dakota or Taste of America, I was the last Customer at these places.

Many of our Members knew this Place, from our Berlin School Trip when I brought you there or maybe some even know him from his Berlin Brigade times when he was Manager of the Starlight Grove at McNair Barracks.

One of the things I got from him was this Sign, he took down in 94 when Turner was closed, the Workers said it will end in the Scrap, so when using the AAFES Filling Station he saw it and got it.
                Maybe some of our Member will recall these.

Nico,

I was stationed as a Tanker with F Co, 40th Armor, Turner Barracks from 78 to 82, and returned to Berlin as a Special Agent with the CID 91 to 94.

This sign is much older than you think. It is from when the Tank Company was still F Company. When they received the M1-A1 Tanks, they were no longer F Company. They changed into two different companies with two different Commanders.

Also, the two new Tank Companies deactivated and returned stateside in 1992.
                Michael D. GALLAGHER

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X