Blue backing on USAAF wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Mark,

First off, its not that I somehow resent the blue patch or even disagree with your point--clearly they were worn--that isn't in doubt. However, lets be fair. LOTS of guys in the US Army were facing death and destruction and were not given the same latitude to alter their uniform (and it was both officers and enlisted men). Why not a blue patch behind the CIB or jump wings for example? There WERE uniform regulations for the jump wing ovals, if I am not mistaken.

Also, A-2 and the wearing of squadron patches was pretty much universal in all the Air Forces. Its not that only the 8th had patches and nose art. You see A2s from EVERYWHERE. In regards to the patch, the 9th and 15th guys overlapped with the 8th, so why didn't they wear the blue patch? Not only that, even the A2 has some sort of regulations--Squadron patches on the left, group patches (if worn) on the right. Name tag above the squadron patch. Same for CBI as ETO.

Also, if it was a "local" order or decree, then at what level, who made that call, and where was it written down? Clearly not everyone in a squadron, group or wing wore these things. It also seems to be that it was mostly worn by guys in B-24s or B-17s, as opposed to figher or troop carrier groups (maybe I am wrong on that?). However, if you were going to alter your uniform in such a radical way, then go off to London for some fun, I expect that you would want to be able to explain to what ever MP or General or whoever called you out about being in a non-regulation uniform JUST what exactly made you think that it was OK to do so. We know that it was a big concern that guys were wearing stuff they weren't authorized to wear and the MPs were good at finding that type of stuff. Being out of uniform was a big deal, no matter how ****-hot you thought you were for flying a B17 to Berlin.

Next, let me ask, was the blue patch to "give a little recognition to the guys who knew that tomorrow may be their last day on earth" or keep the other 30 guys who weren't authorized to wear wings from doing so? And again, why was this only for a small group of guys? As a collector, I want to know that because it makes a difference (judging if the patch is an addon for example, or a legit period piece).

Clearly, no doubt about it, some guys in the 8th AAF wore these blue patches. I have a vintage photo of a B17 gunner with a patch behind his wings. We have seen the uniforms and talked to the vets. They were worn, and I am not at all disagreeing with that fact. I am a fool about many things, but I think this is pretty clear.

However, as collectors we can research just about everything else associated with the squadrons, units, missing aircraft reports, development of insignia, uniform regulations, etc and et al. We know how the medals were worn, the order of the ribbons, the placement of the patchs, chevrons, the color of the twill, the size of the wings. My point is, that other than this darn blue patch every thing else worn by an officer or enlisted man in the US Army has some sort of official regulation or paperwork (maybe not for the A2).

Finally, if there is no general regulation or order stating when or why a blue patch could be worn, and some of the wings came with blue backgrounds (compared to non-blue backed wings) then maybe SOME guys in the 8th AAF could wear the wings this way for what ever unofficial reason they felt like (they liked it, it kept the other non-flight guys away from their girls, it was a badge of honor for being on a combat crew). This is my theory. As all theories, it needs to be tested for truth and accuracy. I could be wrong and would not resent in the slightest that happening.

Sorry for the diarrhea of the keyboard

Patrick
    Last edited by pfrost; 04-29-2005, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo and the wings of a guy wearing the 1927 style AAC insignia (but the photo is signed 1931). The wing has a nice black wool backing. Using a black wool backing on bullion and metal wings goes back to WWI, of course. For some reason, it mutated in the 8th during WWII.

In any case, having just reread my last posts, I feel that maybe I was being a bit of an ass in trying to present my ideas. Sorry, but as a wing collector I get a bit animated--perhaps it is time for some valium, or a coold beer, eh?

P. Frost
      Attached Files

Comment

I have to admire your well thought out opinion, whether I agree or not. I would also love to see some type (anything!) that gives these blue combat patches some sort of official credence.

As it sits right now, we as collectors have to accept what we have as evidence, and I am more inclined to lean towards an Aircrewman's letter home, detailing this odd uniform addition. It doesnt mean that your thoughts are invalid, at least not to me. I appreciate the different perspective, actually.

Lets hope someone will come to our rescue, and provide the documentation we need to settle this

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

blue backround

Heres one I picked up twenty yrs. ago in a surplus store..ratty jacket, good patches. Not 8th AAF.

Comment

Heres an 8th AAF on an E.M. Eng. made Ike

Another thrift store treasure from yrs. back. An Ike w/ a Flying Fish and blue background.

Comment

Ex.Blue!

You can see in this pic. blue was taken off the background!! Out of Reg? This Officers Ike has the AAF Command patch, felt on it.

Comment

E.M. Blue, Nmber 2

Full shot of the E.M.s Ike jacket.

Comment

Interesting jackets Louie, I was hoping that someone would comment on the open use of the flying fish insignia.

Here are a couple more jackets I thought I would add before the lack of response tanks this thread.

This one is a Tech/1st Sgt 4 pocket
                  Attached Files

Comment

pic 2
                    Attached Files

Comment

This one is an officers jacket.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That last one is interesting, how the addition of the air medal and purple heart forced the wings up in the combat crew rectangle, though the vet refused to lose the rectangle.

Paul

Comment

It would appear that when he had the blue patch sewn on, he only had a single row of ribbons. The later addition of a fourth and fifth ribbons forced him to cheat the wings up a little.

I doubt that this was worn this way for very long in an official capacity. He could have worn the ribbons 4 across, and the Victory Medal prompted the second row, at which point he was possibly discharged, or got a new uniform. Of course, it is impossible to know for sure.
                          Attached Files

Comment

another neat addition to this jacket is the "custom" 8th patch. Dressed up a little with a woven bit of gold thread really makes this stand out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
                              ..I doubt that this was worn this way for very long in an official capacity. He could have worn the ribbons 4 across, and the Victory Medal prompted the second row, at which point he was possibly discharged, or got a new uniform. Of course, it is impossible to know for sure.
                              I agree with you. This is not a state-side rotation uniform (IE 8th AAF still on the left sleeve, still has the combat rectangle). Of course this is pure speculation, but this could be the last service uniform this pilot used...and the purple heart may be the reason why.

Paul

Comment

Fantastic uniforms!

Thanks gentlemen for sharing.

Patrick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X