Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OIF or Gulf War jackets

Hello all -
    Just got these off of Ebay - (still in the mail and yet to arrive) I would apreciate any commnets about the items. I am curious to know if the 82nd AB was the unit that I recall jumping into Northern Iraq during the war? Also any commnets on hte 173 AB BDE jacket? Thanks
    Attached Files

and the 82nd AB
    Attached Files

Comment

All I remember about the jumps into Northern Iraq was the 101st. I'm not sure if the 82nd participated. Nice jackets though!

Adam

Comment

So if the Master Blaster Sgt didnt jump in to N Iraq...where would he have jumped??

Comment

The 173rd jumped into N. Iraq during OIF, not the 101st. In fact, the 101st doesn't jump as a unit anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eindecker2
            So if the Master Blaster Sgt didnt jump in to N Iraq...where would he have jumped??
            My guess would be Panama. I've owned 6-color BDUs before with jump stars for Operation Just Cause.

Nice jacket by the way, and obviously not easy to come by.

Comment

Ranger Bn

Your jacket on the bottom is probably from a veteran of the 2nd Ranger Bn, who jumped into Panama. Here is the history I got from the Ranger Association website:

2nd Ranger Battalion did jump into Panama. Here is a bit of the History from the US Army Ranger Association:
              Panama Operation Just Cause

The entire Regiment would participate in the invasion of Panama on December 20, 1989. The Rangers were to secure Torrijos-Tocumen International Airport, Rio Hato Military Airfield, and then Noriega's beach house. Rangers who dropped at Torillos later moved into Panama City, where they took the military headquarters of the Panamanian Defense Forces. Conducting simultaneous low level parachute jumps, 1/75, C company 3/75, and Team Gold from RHQ would capture Torrijos-Tocumen International Airport, while 2/75, A and B 3/75, and Team Black of RHQ would take over Rio Hato Airfield. At Rio Hato heavy antiaircraft fire was encountered and one Ranger was hit in the back of the head while still in the airplane. He survived, but five Rangers were killed in the operation. the Rangers secured the perimeter of the field before the Panamanians began to test the defenses. At Rio Hato the Rangers were supported by AC-130 Spectre gunships, whose target acquisition cameras found targets in the dark. Two hours after the drop at Rio Hato, the airfield was secure enough for transport aircraft to begin landing with supplies and additional equipment for the Rangers.

Once the airfields were secure, the Rangers then carried out special operations in support of Joint Task Force (South). They moved against the Panamanian special forces called the Mountain Troops. Rangers moved from house to house in the compound, and the village where the families of the soldiers lived. Many of the Mountain Troops were caught trying to shave off their distinctive beards. On the fifth day of the operation the Rangers were sent to secure Calle Diez, an area some twenty to twenty-five miles from Panama City, held by the "Dignity Battalions."

Rangers took many pictures of Panamanian and foreign property, aircraft, shops, and houses to show that property was still intact and protected by the U.S. Army. This prevented false claims and probably saved the United States many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Rangers also guarded buildings- such as the Vatican embassy where President Noriega took refuge- to see that no damage was done. Sustaining five killed in action and 42 wounded, the Rangers captured 1014 prisoners of war and over 18000 Panamanian arms. They accomplished the mission given to the for operation Just Cause: the removal of Manuel Noriega and members of the Panamanian Defense Force loyal to him. The Rangers returned home on January 7, 1990.

So, IMO, your desert jacket is from a veteran of this campaign. If you go here: http://www.ranger.org/index.html you may be able to do some research on your SSgt.

Your SFC's jacket is a bit trickier, but I'd venture to say that it's from a 'Nam vet. The 173d A/B served there for quite some time. And, he's wearing a patch from an Armored Cav outfit. Note the CIB and the wings. Also, it looks like the wings do not have a combat jump star; if our SFC had jumped into Iraq, it would certainly have the star.

Best Regards,
              Jason

Comment

The 2nd Rangers also jumped on Grenada.

This guy could have been a Grenada vet, or a Panama vet. If he had a combat jump in both, he would probably be wearing two "combat jump" stars.

Comment

Agree with Steve; but I was thinking more recent, and the fact that as shown here, he's only a S/Sgt. Either could be possible. My money is on Panama, tho.

Best Regards,
                  Jason

Comment

Did you get the 82nd ABN jacket from a seller on ebay who had a TON of tricked out Vietnam Jungle Fatigues, Desert Storm camo jackets, and Operation Iraqi Freedom DCU's? The pictures look like his. His auctions worried me because of the huge volume of hard to find and very done up jackets. I don't know if his stuff was good or not, but it really sent up a red flag in my mind. His story on the DCU's (from Iraq this time around) was that he found them among ones that were being turned in by soldiers returning stateside. This story seems somewhat fishy since he had one (or more) from EVERY unit that was over there. These guys (and gals) wouldn't all be turning there stuff into the same CIF, not even on the same side of the country, if they even turned thier DCU's in at all. Oh well....

But, alas, I digrees, your chocolate chip jacket looks cool to me.

just my 2 cents,
                    Vance
                    Originally posted by Steve B.
                    The 2nd Rangers also jumped on Grenada.

This guy could have been a Grenada vet, or a Panama vet. If he had a combat jump in both, he would probably be wearing two "combat jump" stars.

Comment

To be fair, the seller said he got this jacket from a surplus dealer (who quite possibly could have bought up uniforms from multiple CIFs). [...] On the surface, both look OK, and very plausible, to me. It will be depend, though, what eindecker2 thinks once he's received the jacket.
                      Last edited by historyguy; 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM. Reason: I agree with Vance now.

Comment

Good point, I wasn't trying to pass judgement too soon, just point out what might be a suspicious situation.
                        Vance
                        Originally posted by historyguy
                        To be fair, the seller said he got this jacket from a surplus dealer (who quite possibly could have bought up uniforms from multiple CIFs). I think we should withold judgement until eindecker2 gets these jackets in hand and can go over them with a fine-tooth comb-- a careful study best done in person rather than through internet photos. On the surface, both look OK, and very plausible, to me.

Comment

Vance, your point is well taken also. I guess the final judgement will be passed when "we" get to see the photos Eindecker takes when he gets them.

Best Regards,

Jason

Comment

I also was a bit leary about all the items - but he has a web site that deals in VietCong items and he swears a lifetime warranty - so I bid, but not a whole lot - if its a done up item then I would have probably paid more for just buying all the patches and making the same jacket myself. So you think the ERDL jacket is a vietnam era (or late 1970's?)??? I paid $12 for it on a whim. Eagerly awaiting shipment.

Comment

Lifetime guarantee is good, and the fact that he lists his full name and address is usually a good sign -- I don't see grossy or bobvn doing that!

Originally posted by eindecker2
                              So you think the ERDL jacket is a vietnam era (or late 1970's?)??? I paid $12 for it on a whim. Eagerly awaiting shipment.
                              You'll have to read the label to be sure-- this could be late '70s to late '80s or even into the 1990s. I've seen Woodland Camo from Desert Storm vets-- not everyone could get ahold of desert camo. $12 is fine -- but how much was S&H!! If it's a large , large long or XL $12 is a bargain!

I guess I was being naive earlier-- it's sad a large number of jungle jackets being listed at once has to raise red flags, but I guess that's reality. After looking at his jungle jackets, I did see things that concerned me. I wouldn't bid on any of his jungle jackets unless I could inspect them in person. The desert BDUs looked better , and some I've seen before on eBay .

(PS If that 101st Combat Medic's jacket is untouched, someone missed out on a bargain- that's easily a $150 - $200 jacket!!)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X