Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 helmet to a Marine with tragic story

Hello !

nothing really special when comes to a helmet, but then.. it has a tragic story attached to it.
    I presented this helmet on USMF earlier - but I really appreciate high resolution pictures I can post here - instead of grinding my teeth when trying to upload anything to USMF with their 250kb limits....

anyway, I obtained this helmet recently from old collection of Mr. Whitcomb, He had it for almost 30 yrs - yet never researched the name. Helmet was bought at the old Marin county flea market according to Mr. Whitcomb

I took it home and run the name thru some databases, only match was to a Marine who died in 1946 in San Francisco. So knowing that this is where the helmet comes from - its a 100% match IMHO

I believe that Roy volunteered in 1938 when 17yrs old, although application for His headstone shows 1943 over crossed 1938. Also his casualty card shows 1943. Yet a 1940 census shows Him as a USMC private in San Diego.
    I believe that he reenlisted in 1943 after His first enlistment ended sometime in 1941 or so...

Roy served in 8th Defense Battalion, I believe he would be wearing FMF-PAC patch with AA.

I believe this helmet could be the one that Roy was wearing in the Pacific.. from Hawaii to Okinawa

Sweatband and fibre chinstrap was at some point replaced - maybe by Mr. Whitcomb - but He couldn't recall that -its obvious that original sweatband rusted thru the webbing on the front. also leather of the chinstrap doesn't have the aging like the rest of the helmet - I believe these parts were destroyed by the elements over time.
    yet fibre and shell are 100% match -look at the rust patter on both

Roy died in a freak accident in 1946, His wife survived and remarried multiple times in following years. Not sure about a 5wk old baby thats in the coroners report - but if sucha small baby hasa 3rd degree burns - odds are low.
    Roy had also another daughter that was born in 1943, but she died in 1961.

thats all for my story telling.. here is the helmet:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Michael Kuligowski; 06-04-2019, 12:48 PM.

details
    Attached Files

Comment

and some documents that I was able to find online
      Attached Files

Comment

and His gravestone, btw. helmet is McCord 178C heat lot
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello

A very nice helmet.

Thx

Comment

Great helmet. I really like the early examples such as this one with the Hawley liners. Thanks for sharing!,
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
            Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Great helmet. I love to research items as well and sometimes you run into a tragic story... Respect for bringing his story back to life

Comment

Originally posted by TheCleaner View Post
                Great helmet. I love to research items as well and sometimes you run into a tragic story... Respect for bringing his story back to life
                Thank You Guys ! I really enjoyed researching this helmet, I sent a inquiry to national archives - maybe I will find out some more in few months..

Comment

well, I got a pleasant surprise from the mailman few months ago, Package from National Archives finally arrived. It cost me $70 and a lot of waiting - but I received almost 300 pages of scanned documents !

a lot of them is just routine paperwork, but there is also complete investigation (18 pages) of Roy's tragic death, and pleanty more.
                  Here is a few showing his 2 enlistments with the USMC.

PS - the 2 week old baby that was in the house when fire started - survived without any injuries
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great helmet and liner! Nice to have the history although it’s sad to read. A few years ago I used the National Archives to do some research on a civil war soldier and I was pleasantly surprised to receive a pkg. from them in about 2 1/2 weeks. I must have had my request in during a slow period for them.

Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X