9th AAF with airborne tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9th AAF with airborne tab

I bought this sargent's tunic this weekend. It has a very nice 9th AAF silk thread on wool patch and above that is an airborne tab.

This uniform belonged to a David A Taub (#32541654). Also, in the pockets were another mint 9th AAF english made patch, a silk screen 9th patch and a couple fully embroidered AAF and 9th AAF patches.

No wings.

Have not seen an 9th air force patch with the airborne tab. All the stitiching is with the same thread, so this patch wasn't added to it later.

No reason to think it is a put togther piece IMHO.

So, here is the question, would this guy have been with a troop carrier squadion?

P. Frost

Yes, he would have been a troop carrier guy. I've owned three of these uniforms, but haven't owned one for now probably five years, as they just aren't that common. Nice find!

Dave

Comment

The front of the jacket

Originally posted by NavyFCO
      Yes, he would have been a troop carrier guy. I've owned three of these uniforms, but haven't owned one for now probably five years, as they just aren't that common. Nice find!

Dave
      Here is a scan of the front of the tunic
      Attached Files

Comment

Benefits and goodies

Originally posted by pfrost
        Here is a scan of the front of the tunic
        I checked the pockets and these were waiting for me! The seller already knew they were there, so I didn't "steal" them .

Still, a nice cross section of 9th AAF patches.

P. Frost

Comment

Looks like a nice, legit piece - exactly how I'd expect to see it "out of the woodwork". Too bad the wings are missing.

Dave

Comment

Patrick -

Nice find!

Here's a picture of the Airborne tab being worn with the 9th AF patch.

Flt./Off. Donald V. Peterson was a glider pilot and KIA on June 6th, 1944.

Regards,

Gary
            Attached Files

Comment

I have found a bit more information on David Taub, but still don't know what squadron or group he was with. Does anyone have any ideas?

Next step is the archives, I guess.

P. Frost

Originally posted by GLM
              Patrick -

Nice find!

Here's a picture of the Airborne tab being worn with the 9th AF patch.

Flt./Off. Donald V. Peterson was a glider pilot and KIA on June 6th, 1944.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X