Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Naval Officers Jacket

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if someone could post a photo of the correct type of visor that would have been worn with this Jacket. Thank you!
    Attached Files

Here's a picture of one, courtesy of http://www.reiss.dk/hats/categories/...sp?ID=10&Cat=6 Unfortunately, the black hat band is for a midshipman's hat - the black backing behind the eagle should go all the way around the eagle, not just behind part of it. Unfortunately, this is the best I could find on the web in a quick search - I've got a ton of these at home, and even a couple in my office, but no camera handy!

Dave
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dave Whats the typical price? They seem fairly plentiful on ebay?

Comment

Des -

Another interesting point here before you choose a WWII USN visor.

In my observations of WWII versus current Naval Officer emblems, the original WWII emblems always have the extra crown feathers (cowlick) on their heads, whereas the current emblems have rounded and smooth head feathers, like the Vietnam-era emblem shown on the website Dave provided. I've always found this helpful when looking at WWII USN covers and it's one way to tell if the emblem has been replaced with a more current type.

My photo is of an attributed WWII emblem in my collection.

Regards,

Gary
        Attached Files

Comment

Navy officers hat

Des,
          If you look in the right places, they can be found for around 50.00, however on ebay they usually go up around 75.00 or so.
          The difficult part is determining a WW2 vintage piece from a later one.
          The internal body should be wicker with a leather sweat band and the sweat shield on older ones is usually suspended from the cover frame by straps leaving the sweatshield to sort of float like a tarp over the head.
          Sorry I dont have a camera to show this. The info provided on the eagles is a ggod point. Also, the beautiful and more scarce bullion embroidered eagles are something to look for.
          You should make sure that the cover on the cap (which is actually just a frame) is original to it, in other words matches the size and time period.
          They wore khaki, white(most commonly seen), blue and grey according to the season and order of dress.
          WW2 vintage hats are actually not all that common relative to the abundance of uniforms one sees floating around and certainly not as common as Army officers caps.

Cheers,
          Conrad

Comment

Originally posted by cbuehler
            Des,
            If you look in the right places, they can be found for around 50.00, however on ebay they usually go up around 75.00 or so.
            The difficult part is determining a WW2 vintage piece from a later one.
            The internal body should be wicker with a leather sweat band and the sweat shield on older ones is usually suspended from the cover frame by straps leaving the sweatshield to sort of float like a tarp over the head.
            Sorry I dont have a camera to show this. The info provided on the eagles is a ggod point. Also, the beautiful and more scarce bullion embroidered eagles are something to look for.
            You should make sure that the cover on the cap (which is actually just a frame) is original to it, in other words matches the size and time period.
            They wore khaki, white(most commonly seen), blue and grey according to the season and order of dress.
            WW2 vintage hats are actually not all that common relative to the abundance of uniforms one sees floating around and certainly not as common as Army officers caps.

Cheers,
            Conrad
            Howdy!
            Well I have bought and sold many US Navy Officers Visor caps. Here is a picture of one I bought with an embroidered eagle. I sold this recently for around 80 or so. I would suggest holding out till you can be sure one that comes along is positive WWII. The fore-mentioned ways of picking out a WWII ones are excellent. Hope you can get one for a good price!
            Attached Files

Comment

The bullion eagle! I was shocked it was so beautiful! Nice tunic by the way!!
              Attached Files

Comment

One More Thing

I just want to make clear, in addition to the great points put here about finding a WWII vintage cap is what was regulation with the officer's winter (dark blue) service dress uniform. Your officer would wear a service visor hat with either a winter blue cover or white summer cover. He could also wear a dark blue officer's side cap (piss cutter) with miniature rank and navy eagle as well. As he is a junior officer, no bullion on the visor. Didn't want to pass over the obvious.

Cheers

Comment

The picture of the cap post by crushercap17 is just what anybody who wants a good piece should be looking for! Cant beat the bullion ones in my opinion.
                  Hopefully he could post a picture of the inside for us?
                  Again, these caps are not common and most of the ones that I see on ebay are not ww2 vintage.

Conrad

Comment

Originally posted by cbuehler
                    The picture of the cap post by crushercap17 is just what anybody who wants a good piece should be looking for! Cant beat the bullion ones in my opinion.
                    Hopefully he could post a picture of the inside for us?
                    Again, these caps are not common and most of the ones that I see on ebay are not ww2 vintage.

Conrad
                    Conrad,
                    Sure no problem. Here is an interior photo of the cap. It was manufactured by Bancroft ( most were ) and is Identified on a small card inside.
                    Regards,
                    Beau
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, fantastic info provided there! Thank you very much to everyone who replied. I will use it to guide my buying decision

Comment

Of course, there's always a caveat... My two-year-old visor hat has a wicker liner, and bullion hat device. Thus, it's pretty tough to tell a "true" WW2 US Navy hat as compared to one worn in the 1950's or 1960's. For instance, the hats that my grandfather wore as a Warrant Officer in the early 1950's would pass in my book as "WW2", but I know they were purchased sometime around 1950 or so. Sometimes the only way you can be sure that a hat is from WW2 is getting an attributed one from a guy who served during the War and not afterwards.

Dave

Comment

A few years ago I sold a large WWII USN officer uniform lot on Ebay that was given to me by a WWII vet who served on destroyers in the Pacific. His cap was as described, only w/ metal insignia. The cap was a relic...horrible condition, so I only sold the band and device. The guy who bought it was a retired Navy officer who refurbished these old WWII cap badges somehow and presented them to newly commisioned Ensigns...thought that was kind of neat. I also knew a local USN collector and WWII vet who had hundreds of these cap devices, all different makers and styles. He passed away a few years ago. Dave do you wear a cover w/ bullion insignia w/ your uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hopkins
                            Dave do you wear a cover w/ bullion insignia w/ your uniform?
                            Yep. It was within regs the last time I read through the uniform regulations (back in about 1999!) I was the only person that had one where I work, up until a another guy showed up with one about a month ago (mine still is better looking.) I get comments on it all the time.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GLM
                              Des -

In my observations of WWII versus current Naval Officer emblems, the original WWII emblems always have the extra crown feathers (cowlick) on their heads, whereas the current emblems have rounded and smooth head feathers . . .
                              From an April 1943 magazine ad for insignia made by Blackinton.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X