Painted Helmet: US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted Helmet: US?

Hi, I've had this helmet for over 30 years. It is just a shell, but the paint has always intrigued me. Any idea what the background and value of this might be?
    Attached Files

The insignia is that of the 3rd Infantry Division, which served in France during W.W.I. However, the white paint job looks uncharacteristically smooth for the period. With the liner missing, there are fewer clues whether this is a world war piece or much later. It could even be a Civil Defense helmet that's had the 3rd emblem added by an enterprising artist.

Comment

Helmet

If this is a British helmet then there may be markings stamped into the inside of the rim (front or back).

Comment

Hi Andy,
        Are there any stamped numbers in the helmet shell front/rear inside brim? (that could identify origin). It looks as though it may have had the rough sawdust finish used in WW1 mfg'd helmets, though often times the paint was scraped smooth for painting post ww1 (I have a few artistic painted helmets having had that done). The WW1 issued helmets had the liner riveted to the chinstrap, which passed through the metal loops that are riveted to the left & right underside of the brim (wearer's ear region). The strap was in turn secured to the helmet by a copper rivet inserted from the inside and peened over on the very top of the outside of the helmet. If that rivet has been removed, and white paint is present on the inside of the top rivet hole, the helmet received this paint after the rivet was removed. I have seen this done, and often times the helmet was used as a parade/reunion helmet, or hung in a hall display (VFW, etc.).

Hope this helps,
        Don

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X