F-16 Pitot Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-16 Pitot Tube

These don't come around very often so when I had the chance to grab it I did!
    Attached Files

It's not showing up well but the first three inches or so are discolored from the high heat of supersonic flight.
    Originally posted by gary cain View Post
    these don't come around very often so when i had the chance to grab it i did!
    Attached Files

Comment

and to think of how many pitot tubes we tossed overboard from our SH60B.

Comment

Yeah, but that's what makes these so desirable now!

Originally posted by Svt40 View Post
        and to think of how many pitot tubes we tossed overboard from our SH60B.

Comment

Yea when I was in the Navy I never really thought about the stuff we had as being collectible.

On one cruise we probably tossed overboard over 200 schrader valves among other spares taking up valuable space. That summer the ex wife and I visited my relatives and my uncle was looking for schrader valves to retrofit onto the landing gear of an old MIG-21 he bought.

Comment

Hi Gary, a most desirable piece. These are so collectable and under appreciated. Here's my set of Mig17 pitot tubes. A F14 Tomcat pitot would be the most desirable. Best, Bill Bourque
            Attached Files

Comment

Gary-

The heat of supersonic flight may well have contributed to the discoloration of the pitot tube, but as an airframe & powerplant mechanic & avionics tech I can say that plenty of subsonic aircraft (Lear, Gulfstream, Hawker, Falcon, etc.) have discolored pitot tubes also.

It is caused by the electric heat to used prevent icing.

When turned on while on the ground, heated pitot tubes will give you a second degree burn in a fraction of a second. I know from unfortunate personal experience!

Comment

Steve is correct. The pitot tubes on my trusty C-130 were just as discolored from the heating elements, and Hercs could barely get out of their own way.

Comment

Good to know! And thanks for the technical expertise!
                  Originally posted by Steve B. View Post
                  Gary-

The heat of supersonic flight may well have contributed to the discoloration of the pitot tube, but as an airframe & powerplant mechanic & avionics tech I can say that plenty of subsonic aircraft (Lear, Gulfstream, Hawker, Falcon, etc.) have discolored pitot tubes also.

It is caused by the electric heat to used prevent icing.

When turned on while on the ground, heated pitot tubes will give you a second degree burn in a fraction of a second. I know from unfortunate personal experience!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X