X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guadalcanal Graphic Skull Tank Picture

IMG_2449.jpgIMG_2450.jpg
    Hello Gentlemen and Women,

I found this picture among others in a local antique store. It has very interesting stamps and descriptions stapled to them, along with potentially awesome history.

This one is a burned Japanese skull on a Japanese tank, with a Marine holding the head upright.
    With the description on the back: GUADALCANAL -- Photo shows Japanese "head," helmet and cross-bones atop wrecked Jap tank at the mouth of Matanikau River. This tank was cornered and destroyed by Marine half-tracks during bitterly contested Battle of the Matanikey River where Marine forces pushed Nipponese beyond River, thus securing the safety of Henderson Field from possible grown attack. PHOTO BY SGT. ERNEST DIET. CAPTAIN CHARLES L. HAYWORD, PHOTO OFFICER, SECOND MARINE DIVISION.

It also had several stamps on the back and writing on the front.

Where it gets interesting is that this Japanese Skull looked familiar. After a cursory internet search I find it is the same skull and helmet used in the famous LIFE Magazine February, 1943 picture.
    Ralph Morse was attached to the US Army and relieved the 2nd Marine Division. In re article Mr. Morse goes on to say they thought the tank and skull were left by Japanese to draw them in to a mortar ambush. It looks like the picture I have might be from before the famous one was taken, and may show the marines set it up for the photo opportunity.

There are other awesome pictures I picked up together with similar markings. I will post them if anyone is interested in this one. The history of this picture is exciting and I can't wait to find out more. Any help or comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt A.

http://time.com/3518085/life-behind-...dalcanal-1942/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20170726_192444 w.jpgIMG_2444.JPG

Stamps and writing

Comment

IMG_2443.jpgIMG_2448.jpg

Comment

Looks like the Type 97 Chi Ha tank that with a quick google search for "Matanikey Tank" was photographed quite a few times. It's obviously distinctive because of the camo and how buried the tank is in the sand.

Comment

I don't know if the stamp means it's a protected photo, or that the 2nd marine corps was responsible for it's distribution ( i.e. sales through military outlets)?...If the second applies, it is likely a mass produced photo....Nice find either way....Is $2.00 the price?....Bodes

Comment

These type photo's were reviewed by the Marines for release to the press. The caption stapled to the photo is so the press had the story behind the photo. These went out to the major news outlets of the time so many copy's did exist. Over time they got thrown away after use so this would be a survivor. Please feel free to post your other photo's!

Comment

Guadalcanal Graphic Skull Tank Picture

Thanks gentlemen,
              I appreciate the prompt responses. IMG_2447.jpgIMG_2446.JPG

Caption:
              GUADALCANAL-- Photo shows Marine sniper displaying Japanese Snipers jacket made from the bark of palm tree. The cap and rifle were captured from the same Jap.

Last edited by Txrgr1911; 07-27-2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by p-59a View Post
                These type photo's were reviewed by the Marines for release to the press. The caption stapled to the photo is so the press had the story behind the photo. These went out to the major news outlets of the time so many copy's did exist. Over time they got thrown away after use so this would be a survivor. Please feel free to post your other photo's!
                Makes sense....I figured it had something to do with it's distribution, and that it was a mass produced image......Bodes

Comment

This is the famous photo. Same skull for sure.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X