My Normandy find - Troop Carrier Glider Pilot M41 jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Normandy find - Troop Carrier Glider Pilot M41 jacket

Whilst out in Normandy last week for the D-Day commemorations, I checked out the militaria stores in the area. Usually it's overpriced and fairly bog standard but on my last day I went into a store in St. Mere Eglise and found gold.

This M41 jacket was in a glass cabinet looking rather ratty and filthy. However, I could tell immediately it was an early Airborne Troop Carrier M41. On the left is a silk screened on canvas 9th AF patch with an additional Airborne tab sewn above it. This was definitely IX Troop Carrier Command. Whilst the right was a First Allied Airborne Command patch.

When inspecting the jacket at the store I spotted a name, rank and a partial number on the inside.
    Hurley Wm
    Flight Officer
    T-_2_340

I had a hunch this could have been a Glider Pilots M41 so I bought it.
    A good friend of mine named Patrick Elie who is my Troop Carrier guru checked his records and confirmed that F/O William Hurley T-121340 was indeed a Glider Pilot in the 99th TCS 441st TCG. Hurley had flown a CG-4A Glider into Southern France and Holland.

This was fantastic news and 24 hours later, Hans den Brok added the icing on the cake by supplying me a photograph of Hurley.

What a jacket. I've been collecting all things Airborne Troop Carrier for years but an M41 jacket has eluded me. So to get one with so much history is something very special.

Regards,
    Neil.

The group photograph of the 99th Troop Carrier Squadron Glider Pilots scanned from the unit history book. Hurley is sitting cross legged on the far right.

While looking at the patches, each of them appears to have been previously machine sewn and they also show "long-stitch" hand stitching. So, are the patched machine sewn or hand sewn to the jacket? May we see inside the sleeves?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kibler View Post
      While looking at the patches, each of them appears to have been previously machine sewn and they also show "long-stitch" hand stitching. So, are the patched machine sewn or hand sewn to the jacket? May we see inside the sleeves?
      Tom,

Both patches have the hand stitched and machine stitched going through the jacket. It's too dark to take a photo now over here in England.

Neil.

Comment

That is a bit of luck, getting a Normandy related piece right there in Normandy.... a number of the Normandy dealers buy all over Europe then bring them home and sell them as Normandy items....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
          That is a bit of luck, getting a Normandy related piece right there in Normandy.... a number of the Normandy dealers buy all over Europe then bring them home and sell them as Normandy items....
          This was my thought.

I've even had a good number of Normandy region buyers do big bulk buys of US material over the years...
          ------------------------------------------------
          Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
            The jacket isn't Normandy related as Hurley's first combat mission was Op Dragoon - The invasion of Southern France.

Comment

Nice find.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X