Unusual Meyer Pilot Wing - Info Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Meyer Pilot Wing - Info Please

I recently acquired this N.S. Meyer marked pilot wing. I am quite sure it is original (not one of the restrikes). From the front, it looks to be a know variation (perhaps pre-WW2?). But the back is unusual (to me) as I have never seen one with this look and it does not have the Meyers shield. Any information regarding this version Wing would be greatly appreciated:
    Attached Files

Here's a view of the back and the Meyer mark in the upper left of the wing just above the catch:
    Attached Files

Comment

And here's a view of the "STERLING" mark. Thanks in advance for any help:
      Attached Files

Comment

Why are you sure it is an original and not a restrike?

There are a couple of things that you find on restrikes that you see on this wing.

First the pin should be cammed an only open up about 80-90 degrees. This appears to be one of the pins that opens up 180 degrees. Also the hinge (at the base where it is attached to the back of the wing) appears to have a little "tag" or "ear" that is found on the restrikes but not the originals. Although it could be that someone has replaced the original pin and hinge with a new one.

Also, the STERLING font is large (as is found on the restrikes) as opposed to a much smaller font used in originals.

Frankly, my sense is that this is a casting of an original NS Meyer wing, but to be honest that may just be an artifact of the photos.

Its hard to know for sure, but my sense is that this is not a vintage NS Meyer wings. Sorry

Patrick

Comment

On the other hand, you may be correct and it isn't an NS Meyer wing at all. Although I do see what looks like the hint of the Meyer shield.

Sometimes the varitions between wings look very similar and it is possible that it is a wing that only looks very much like an NS Meyer wing. So, I could be wrong.

Better pictures may help.

Comment

IMO not a vintage WW2 wing! Search EBay, I'm almost positive I've seen this 1930s looking front with different reverse set ups! On your pictures the back looks soft/cast!

Comment

It's definitely not cast. Here's a view of the edge that clearly shows the crisp die strike marks:
              Attached Files

Comment

I should have also mentioned that I'm under the impression that the restrikes do not have solder around the base of the hinge and catch. This wing does have the solder there. Am I wrong about that?

Comment

Originally posted by fredswiss View Post
                  It's definitely not cast. Here's a view of the edge that clearly shows the crisp die strike marks:
                  Seems to me, the term restrike is indicative of a die struck piece....Meyer restrikes used the original WW2 era dies......This is why it is discouraged to spend big money or heavily dabble in Meyer wings...They're a mine field....Bodes

Comment

Bodes, I fully agree with your your comments. Meyer wings are a minsfield which is why I only paid $20 for this one. There is an old WAF thread about them that indicated they placed their marks on numerous different locations on the back (maker and sterling marks) and also used different since fonts for both. I'll take another crack at finding that old thread......Fred

Comment

Bodes, I should have also mentioned that my comment about it not being cast was in response to Lubo's comment that it looked to him that it might be cast......Fred

Comment

Originally posted by fredswiss View Post
                        Bodes, I should have also mentioned that my comment about it not being cast was in response to Lubo's comment that it looked to him that it might be cast......Fred
                        I figured as much...My point was merely, it can be a restrike and be a copy/reproduction without it being cast...Bodes

Comment

Bodes, yep, a restrike is a copy/reproduction and I am aware of that (which is why I stated in the 1st post that I didn't think it was a "restrike")......Fred

Comment

This appears to be Meyers restrike to me because while the restrikes used the original dies and sterling silver they used the modern finishing process. The backs have a solid even gray finish seen on modern wings but not on WWII wings. It is common for this finish to be buffed off to give them the WWII look, if you look around the base of the pin (both ends) you will see this gray finish where the buffing wheel could not get into the tight places. I also think this buffing process is what is giving the cast look. As far as I know all of these restrikes had the Meyers logo but this can also be removed and these wings look to have been worked on quite a bit. For $20.00 I would have bought them too, that is less then Meyers sold them for.

Comment

If it is a NS Meyer wings, the originals always used the cammed pin that only opens up 80-90 degrees. The pin that flops open 180 degrees and was used only on the restrikes. The restrikes were from the original dies.

There are always some exceptions to every rule, but if you have a NS Meyer wing with this type of pin, you can pretty much expect it to be a restrike.

The price spent is fine but I think you don't have a vintage wing.

Here is a very good thread from the USMF that clearly shows the differences between original and restrike.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...e-meyer-wings/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X