The Future of Our (Patch) Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future of Our (Patch) Hobby

This weekend I attended an air show; HMHT-302 sent a detachment of two Sea Stallions. They had a little table set up selling t-shirts, probably some other trinkets, and flight-suit patches. The desert subdued I recognized right away. These, however, had me puzzled. I thought they may be something for the kids, so I asked one of the Marines what they were. He informed me that these are the new style patches to be worn on the flight suit. He specifically mentioned because the cloth patches "turn black almost right away."

These are made of plastic, and look as if they would come free with a child's toy helicopter!

So far I have not found much info on these; last time I looked there was only one vinyl patch on eBay, and I believe that was a "moral" patch, not a squadron insigne.

Has anyone else encountered these? I suppose an assembled collection might look impressive, but to this old collector, these new plastic patches lack the character of good ol' embroidery!

P.S. The air show was awesome!

Just got some from a middle east 2nd REP lot of that mfg style and agree they're pretty interesting - probably cheaper to make.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Pretty sure foreign countries (Italy, Russkies, others) have these types of patches.

At least this one is not subdued!

Comment

I know these from mostly Eastern Block countries like Soviet Union, Russia, Poland etc.
        Interesting that this one is an official US one.

Comment

Originally posted by tredhed2 View Post
          Pretty sure foreign countries (Italy, Russkies, others) have these types of patches.

At least this one is not subdued!
          You are correct on both counts-- I used the wrong search term; using " rubber patch " on eBay brings up thousands of hits, many of them foreign units.

And yes, subdued would look awful in rubber!

Comment

They are called PVC patches.

Comment

I wonder how they will age. Fifty year old colored pvc? Hmm.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X