WW1? US Campaign Hat (Named with photo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1? US Campaign Hat (Named with photo)

The hat looks to me like the cord that goes around the top has been replaced and the chinstrap looks to be in too good condition.

Any idea who this man is and where/when he served?

I'm not sure if the photo is of the man who is named on the sweatband, but the group came together. In the photo it looks as if the man has a discharge stripe and one overseas stripe, and the hat has the cord with the acorns on it. His uniform as looks like the uniform of a WW1 soldier, and it looks like he has an infantry collar pin but it is difficult to make out. Any information on this hat or man is appreciated, thanks!

These were replaced in 1941 by the overseas cap....I have one with a quartermaster stamp inside the sweatband and is dated 1940....Yours looks to be private purchase, so probably not dated.....Do you have a service number?....Name is uncommon, so somebody should be able to tell you whether he was in WW1 and possibly served beyond....Good luck, Bodes

Just to add, is the photo a postcard?....If so, could be a mass produced photo and possibly has nothing to do with the hat.....

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post

Just to add, is the photo a postcard?....If so, could be a mass produced photo and possibly has nothing to do with the hat.....
      The photo has nothing on the back so I don't think it is a postcard. Also unfortunately I don't have a service number, just the name and whatever the markings under it mean.

Comment

Originally posted by wright View Post
        The photo has nothing on the back so I don't think it is a postcard. Also unfortunately I don't have a service number, just the name and whatever the markings under it mean.

Appears the name in the hat is linked to a "Battery F, 71st Field Artillery unit"....I would research that and find out some history...Perhaps you may get lucky and link the name to the unit.....Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
          Appears the name in the hat is linked to a "Battery F, 71st Field Artillery unit"....I would research that and find out some history...Perhaps you may get lucky and link the name to the unit.....Bodes
          Than perhaps you can establish what the unit did during WW1, and whether/not they remained an active unit after the war...

And if you're fortunate enough, perhaps you can find out where he was from...Than google local newspapers under his name to find obituaries....May or may not talk about his military service....Local historical organizations may help as well...May have photos of your man and verify link to the photo.....Bodes

I would also post your inquiry on the US military forum....Some of the guys there are good at finding service information......

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X