Navy B-24 photo, no tail number,lots of Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy B-24 photo, no tail number,lots of Officers

This photo of a Navy B-24 was found in a Navy Ensigns grouping. The National colors have the surround that indicates 1943, but I see no tail number and no waist guns. The bomber has allot of brass around it and that indicates a VIP. Anyone have any ideas about this photo?
    Attached Files

Looks like a Navy PB4Y-1 vs. a B-24...

Comment

Originally posted by NavyFCO View Post
      Looks like a Navy PB4Y-1 vs. a B-24...
      I thought the PB4Y had a single tail.
      Last edited by p-59a; 07-04-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

The PBY4-1 is a Navy B-24. the single tail flying boat is the PBY-4.

Comment

Navy PB4Y
          Attached Files

Comment

Navy 2-24 Photo

The PB4Y-1 Liberator had the twin tails and was the Navy version of the USAAF B-24. The PB4Y-2 Privateer, a development of the above type, had a single vertical tail. Both served as long range patrol and anti-shipping / anti-submarine aircraft in Naval service.
            On a Navy aircraft, painted in a Navy camouflage scheme, as shown in the original photo, you would not expect to see a serial number from that distance. From the Consolidated factory, a Bureau number would have been applied to the tail in much smaller black, or white, characters. As for the waist guns, they were removable and could be stowed in the plane, or undergoing maintenance when this photo was taken.
            Just a guess, but the crowd may just be spectators and something related to the plane is being filmed.
            Hope this helps.
            Regards, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by A-N Standard View Post
              The PB4Y-1 Liberator had the twin tails and was the Navy version of the USAAF B-24. The PB4Y-2 Privateer, a development of the above type, had a single vertical tail. Both served as long range patrol and anti-shipping / anti-submarine aircraft in Naval service.
              On a Navy aircraft, painted in a Navy camouflage scheme, as shown in the original photo, you would not expect to see a serial number from that distance. From the Consolidated factory, a Bureau number would have been applied to the tail in much smaller black, or white, characters. As for the waist guns, they were removable and could be stowed in the plane, or undergoing maintenance when this photo was taken.
              Just a guess, but the crowd may just be spectators and something related to the plane is being filmed.
              Hope this helps.
              Regards, Paul
              Paul, Thanks for the information on the PB4Y-1 and PBY4-2. Baugher's list indicates that Army B-24's were diverted from the Consolidated production plant for Navy use and modified with different nose and tail guns. This doesn't look like a modified D to me so I guess it could be a Navy contract aircraft. As for all the brass standing around?...and the jeeps with tops on and the WC-57 Command car being there...still looks like VIP stuff going on to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X