Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dating a Garand rifle

Hello
    according the serial nr. and markings is it posible to know if this one is ww2 production / manufactured, or postwar?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

According to the one book I have that addresses the subject, your rifle was probably made in May or June of 1945. The markings on the stock seem to be typical of those on WWII-era rifles.

There will be markings on most parts that could help an expert determine the manufacture date of those parts. Look carefully at the barrel because those are often marked with a date.

There were many M1s that were given to Allied nations after the war, so it is hard to say what sort of modifications or different markings might appear on those rifles. Many, many more that stayed in the US military were rebuilt over the years, often several times.

It is very common to find M1s with WWII receiver serial numbers, but other parts from the 1950s and 1960s.

You will need more photos to get a definitive answer to your question, one area that is always of interest is the rear sight. Is it the WWII "locking bar" rear sight, or something different.

There are probably some M1 collector forums on the internet that you could find using a Google search.

I would also advise that you black-out or otherwise obscure the last two or three digits of your serial number as a security measure.

I hope this helps!

Steve

Comment

a good friend of mine,now log gone,used to collect us weapons,mostly garands and carbines.he would detail strip the weapon and examine every part and if he found a piece untouchrd,which is extremely rare,he would pay crazy money for it.a completely untouched carbine or garand is a real find.as has been said most were refurbished post war or simply had parts replaced during repairs...........dave

Comment

I agree on the May/June 1945 manufacture date, but the Department of Defense Box/Eagle acceptance mark was not used until the 1953 time period. The original stock would have had a boxed SA/NFR acceptance stamp. The NFR was for B. Gen. Norman F. Ramsey, Commanding Officer of Springfield Armory during the time the rifle was built.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X