Question.... Regarding 1st USAAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question.... Regarding 1st USAAF

Hello folks, I am looking to purchase a 1st USAAF grouping. Surprisingly I couldn't find much information regarding this Air Force on the internet. To my understanding, the 1st Air Force was mainly an east coast defense force, as well as a training school based in the US. My question is, is it possible for a Sergeant, bearing the 1st Air Force patch, to have an European African Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon, as well as FIVE oversea stripes? The uniform does not have a patch on the right shoulder. Looking forward to a little history lesson here. Thanks all in advance!!
    Ran

Take a look at the lining of the right sleeve to see if there was a combat patch sewn there and then removed for inclusion in a scrapbok or some such.
    1st AF uniforms are not expensive so don't pay any more than the sum of the parts.

Originally posted by PFCXu2016 View Post
    Hello folks, I am looking to purchase a 1st USAAF grouping. Surprisingly I couldn't find much information regarding this Air Force on the internet. To my understanding, the 1st Air Force was mainly an east coast defense force, as well as a training school based in the US. My question is, is it possible for a Sergeant, bearing the 1st Air Force patch, to have an European African Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon, as well as FIVE oversea stripes? The uniform does not have a patch on the right shoulder. Looking forward to a little history lesson here. Thanks all in advance!!
    Ran

Comment

Originally posted by PFCXu2016 View Post
      Ran
      Yes, it would be very possible.

Comment

As 101combatvet states this is possible. A returnee from overseas with 5 overseas stripes indicate 2 1/2 years. Soldiers who had time overseas but not enough points to discharge were rotated back to the states for stateside service. The lack of an overseas patch is not uncommon on a shirt. A class "A" jacket would normally have both patch's but not always.

Comment

Got it, thank you folks. I know there were a lot of uniform regulations that weren't followed to the words. Just wanted to hear others opinions on this. Thanks again!
          Ran

Comment

I have a small grouping with combat missions, the guy did his required missions (50) in like three months. Sometimes flying two to three missions a day. He cashed in and went stateside in late fall of 44.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X