Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Military Helmet, Help in I.D. Please

Hello all,

I acquired this helmet recently and the seller knew nothing about it other than listing as a "WW2 GI Helmet"

Even having served in the U.S. Army myself, I don't know much about these older steel helmets. The chinstrap attachments swivel, as opposed to being fixed. The entire piece is in great condition, and appears only to be missing the leather headband which would clip to the inner straps. There is some fine dust in the liner that I haven't removed yet. The shell appears nearly perfect and rust free,almost too good to be a WW2 relic.

The decal on the liner is "40th Armor" I believe, but the other decal looks foreign. I would appreciate any insight as to this helmet. I do not expect or anticipate it to be rare or valuable, just would like to properly ID it.

Thank you,
    BR

Audentes Deus Iuvat = God favors the bold (Latin)

Comment

That's the distinctive unit insignia of the 215th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, 40th Armored Division, California National Guard.

The symbol on the insignia is a Korean bell symbolizing their service in Korea. I know the 40th AD was one of the National Guard divisions that was "downsized" or eliminated in 1967......so this helmet probably dates from the mid-1950s until 1967.

Nice helmet!
      Last edited by blinky; 05-18-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
        That's the distinctive unit insignia of the 215th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, 40th Armored Division, California National Guard.

The symbol on the insignia is a Korean bell symbolizing their service in Korea. I know the 40th AD was one of the National Guard divisions that was "downsized" or eliminated in 1967......so this helmet probably dates from the mid-1950s until 1967.

Nice helmet!
        Thank you for that information. Funny, that I am in California, yet the helmet came from a seller in a different state. Even funnier that I went to Korea twice on military orders (only a for a few weeks each time) Funnier than that is that the wife also visited Korea while in the USN before we ever met. And funniest of all is that the place where we got hitched in California is a park that has a prominent Korean "Friendship Bell" as it's main landmark.

And by the way, the decals were not known or pictured on the for sale ad, and I discovered them by accident when I finally got around to removing the liner to inspect it as I thought about selling it. (Keeping it now of course!)

Much thanks!

Comment

By the way, neither of us are Korean...

Comment

It wanted to come home

It's probably not as "sexy" as a WWII helmet to some collectors but it's a very cool piece of history in it's own right as it's from one of the many Guard Divisions that were lost in 1967. For one of your first M-1s I'd say you did pretty good.

eric

Comment

Originally posted by blinky View Post
              It wanted to come home

It's probably not as "sexy" as a WWII helmet to some collectors but it's a very cool piece of history in it's own right as it's from one of the many Guard Divisions that were lost in 1967. For one of your first M-1s I'd say you did pretty good.

eric
              Thank you Eric, the insight is much appreciated. I am glad I sort of lucked out on this helmet. It worked out better than the restored and repainted dug relic German helmets I posted up here for feedback recently. They were absolutely annihilated and mauled by the members on this forum.

Rather than having hurt feelings, the feedback drove me to open up my wallet a little wider and buy a proper original and unbuggered SD Luftwaffe helmet from a member here in the marketplace. No regrets at all!

Comment

That's a nice looking helmet & liner, but I tend to think it is a 1950s or later that was made to resemble a WWII set with some new paint and the addition of the net.

The clamp-on straps on yours weren't used until about 1951. WWII helmets had the straps sewn on.

Helmet liners usually had a manufacturer's stamp/logo right at the crown inside the liner. Some makers also marked them with a date.

Lots of good info here, but you might also want to run this past the folks at the U.S. Militaria Forum. They have some very knowledgeable people there, too, and I am sure they could help you pin down exactly what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B. View Post
                  That's a nice looking helmet & liner, but I tend to think it is a 1950s or later that was made to resemble a WWII set with some new paint and the addition of the net.

The clamp-on straps on yours weren't used until about 1951. WWII helmets had the straps sewn on.

Helmet liners usually had a manufacturer's stamp/logo right at the crown inside the liner. Some makers also marked them with a date.

Lots of good info here, but you might also want to run this past the folks at the U.S. Militaria Forum. They have some very knowledgeable people there, too, and I am sure they could help you pin down exactly what you have.
                  I disagree. I'm sure it wasn't repainted.

Comment

It's a WWII shell that was refurbished in the 1950's (new straps, stripped and painted). The liner is also 1950's as well. If it has a grommet hole in the front then it's pre 1955. No grommet hole = post 1955.

Comment

I appreciate all of the comments posted here, including the dissenting views. It would be nice to be a WW2 shell, but I like it either way and didn't pay much. I think the liner is more interesting than the shell.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X