Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    What is he asking for it?

The liner kills it for the purist, the pocket zipper looks recent.
    The idea it's missing a neck tag (as opposed to liner replacement) is what would kill it for the "purist".....This one has a laundry number there, which says to me it's likely original owner replacement....To me it's all about how well it displays from the outside and provenance...Cannot argue internal zipper sucks and hard to explain away......Bodes
    Last edited by bodes; 04-15-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

First things first. I agree with Bodes re the replaced liner and missing tag. The laundry mark goes a long way in as far as it being a period jacket. What I haven't seen is more discussion of that shirt. Sewn collar insignia on an enlisted shirt are not common. If I had to bet money I would go with this guy being a crew member on an aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by p-59a View Post
        First things first. I agree with Bodes re the replaced liner and missing tag. The laundry mark goes a long way in as far as it being a period jacket. What I haven't seen is more discussion of that shirt. Sewn collar insignia on an enlisted shirt are not common. If I had to bet money I would go with this guy being a crew member on an aircraft.
        No wings, probably ground personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
          The idea it's missing a neck tag (as opposed to liner replacement) is what would kill it for the "purist".....This one has a laundry number there, which says to me it's likely original owner replacement....To me it's all about how well it displays from the outside and provenance...Cannot argue internal zipper sucks and hard to explain away......Bodes
          True, but laundry numbers were used far beyond WW2, plus its leather. I've seen a number of these jackets worn out, guys wore them after the war. Very cool to wear one on a college campus after the war.

Comment

The collar looks funky to me like it was replaced, could you show close ups of it, both sides, and are there snaps under it to hold it down? The liner is defiantly replaced, color and material are wrong and no sign that it ever had a label and sleeve lining is wrong. As for the laundry number those stamping kits are still around. Is that a blood chit sewn to the inside, if so that is a very big deal why didn't you show it? If it is just some fantasy thing it is a huge red flag. The patches look more dirty than worn. I am not saying I think the jacket is bad but I think it raises enough questions that I would not want to pay top dollar for it. The brush jacket is just the standard British issue which is quite common as are the US insignia but put then together and people will pay more than the sum to the parts. British jackets were worn by Americans but you need iron clad provenance to be sure.

Comment

Here is my step-father’s flight jacket from the CBI if it helps. He was a pilot.
              He joined the Army in November, 1941.
              He was in the Flying Tigers, but not the AVG. (AVG members would tell you he wasn’t really in the Tigers).
              He was in Ft. Riley Kansas when the war broke out and could remember having to break open crates of 1917 U.S. Enfields and clean the cosmoline off them to guard the fort.
              The round Flying Tiger patch on the left breast has been taken off. I'll have to see if I can find that.
              You can see the leather lieutenant bar on the shoulder.

Here are the units he was in.
              China Theater
              14th Air Force
              68th Composite Wing
              23rd Fighter Group
              76th Fighter Squadron

Comment

I just noticed the sleeves, too. I haven't seen "multipanel" construction for the sleeves on official A-2's. My guess is this is a private purchase jacket, or a humped up post war example.

Ian
                Attached Files

Comment

other stitch holes above the left hand round patch?

Comment

It's a private purchase non-issued flight jacket. I suspect this is an enlisted man who wished to 'look the part' with an A-2. The patch is the generic 14th AirForce patch. Quite nicely constructed and it has some character but it's not particularly rare or as valuable as one attributed to a group/squadron. It looks a bit 'dry' and the collar seems to have been replaced? US$1000 for the group, I'd say.
                    Last edited by Sly; 05-23-2017, 09:59 AM. Reason: bah

Comment

Comment

Killer grouping! the tan Jacket is Chinese made!!! I love it! Need to research that if you still have it. Looks like Lt. Bars on the shoulder that is a pilot, navigator or bombardier.

best of luck!

Comment

The 14th Air Force patch on the jacket which began this thread is the first design, in which the tiger faces to the viewer's right. In terms of heraldry, the tiger in that position is retreating. The first design was soon altered so that the tiger faced to the viewer's left, a position of "advancing" or "attacking" in heraldry.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X