Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Aircraft Part

Greetings Sirs,

While rummaging in an antique store recently, I came across this aircraft part. The tag simply stated "propeller." However, I don't think it is a prop. It looks more likely to be an aileron or stabilizer of some sort.

However, this is WAY outside my are of knowledge. Could someone tell me what this is and whether it is part of a commercial or military aircraft.

Please make my day and tell me it's a rare late war part from an ME-263 Komet. Or just the much more likely truth that it is a piece of a crop duster some idiot crashed in a field forty years ago.

Kind Regards,

Z
    Attached Files

Two more pics. Certainly the most unusual thing I came across while junk hunting yesterday.
    Attached Files

Comment

Some stencil markings there that my old eyes can't make out.

Thanks for looking,

Z
      Attached Files

Comment

It would help if you could get a photo of the whole thing, from tip to tip, including the metal attachment part. Also, how long is it?

You might try figuring out the stenciled numbers and googling those numbers. It's amazing what info pops up some time.

All that said, to me it resembles a helicopter tail rotor.

Comment

Helicopter huh? I hadn't thought of that. I copied this thread over on the Luftwaffe forum to see what some of those gents thought and someone said it resembled a yacht rudder.

Now I'm really curious. The antique store wanted $90 for it. That's a little steep for me to pick up just out of curiosity.

But seriously, I cannot make out the stenciling on this thing. I have some vision troubles and some colors blend together on me. Pisses me off when I'm watching a DVD and the subtitles (cause I'm deaf as hell also ) are scrolling in "Eggshell" against a white background. WTF is "eggshell" anyway! Seriously, whoever formats that crap, stop being a douche and just put black text against a white background. (End of Rant).

But thanks for the input gents. Next time I make it to that antique store, if this item is still there, I'll try to get some better pictures or some help interpreting the stenciling.

Best,

Z

Comment

I did a quick look around, and I think it is a tail rotor blade for a Sikorsky R-4 series helicopter.

If you go to sikorskyarchives.com and look at the R-4/S47 page, the shape looks about right. The articles says the blades were wood.

The drawing number looks to me like S515001-2. I can't help but wonder if the S stands for Sikorsky.

I didn't see if they had a way to contact them, but you might to to that site & see.

Comment

That is interesting. Parts made by Sikorsky have the following prefix numbers stamped on them...H-3 S61---, H-34 S16---, H-53 65---, H-54 S64---,H-60 A 7-###-. Look for those stamps and for inspection stamps. They can be stamped, embossed or ink stamps. The S51--- mentioned by Steve is in keeping with how Sikorsky ran thier prefix numbers. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve B. View Post
                I did a quick look around, and I think it is a tail rotor blade for a Sikorsky R-4 series helicopter.

If you go to sikorskyarchives.com and look at the R-4/S47 page, the shape looks about right. The articles says the blades were wood.

The drawing number looks to me like S515001-2. I can't help but wonder if the S stands for Sikorsky.

I didn't see if they had a way to contact them, but you might to to that site & see.
                The "S" is for Sikorsky.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacharyB View Post
                  Helicopter huh? I hadn't thought of that. I copied this thread over on the Luftwaffe forum to see what some of those gents thought and someone said it resembled a yacht rudder.

Now I'm really curious. The antique store wanted $90 for it. That's a little steep for me to pick up just out of curiosity.

But seriously, I cannot make out the stenciling on this thing. I have some vision troubles and some colors blend together on me. Pisses me off when I'm watching a DVD and the subtitles (cause I'm deaf as hell also ) are scrolling in "Eggshell" against a white background. WTF is "eggshell" anyway! Seriously, whoever formats that crap, stop being a douche and just put black text against a white background. (End of Rant).

But thanks for the input gents. Next time I make it to that antique store, if this item is still there, I'll try to get some better pictures or some help interpreting the stenciling.

Best,

Z
                  I took a look at what Steve had posted. I think he is spot on. Good job Steve!!! 90 bucks is a fair price.
                  Last edited by p-59a; 03-09-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Sirs,

I thank you all for the kind and helpful replies. Not knowing where to begin, it is unlikely that I would have been able to investigate this item without the generous help offered here.

To follow-up, I have re-visited the antique store and purchased this tail rotor. I'm almost ashamed to say that by waiting a few days to return, the store entered into a sale period and had everything in the building discounted by a high percentage. So, I really do feel that I got a crackerjack deal on this item.

It is indeed a tail rotor from a Sikorsky Model H-5 Helicopter. These early helicopters were famously used to rescue downed pilots and evacuate the wounded during the Korean War. From what I can tell, this one is still in its original configuration and has not been altered.

What's more, when I returned to purchase this item, I was able to speak with the antique shop owner and not just the clerk as before. The owner was able to tell me that this item came from an estate sale and gave me the name and address of the estate from which this item (along with quite a few other things) came.

Using the family name, the town, and a telephone book, I was able to reach out and find some more information. I spoke to the son of the man from whose estate this item came. His father had indeed been a Korean War (and Vietnam) veteran and had recently passed away in a nursing facility. He told me that because of financial issues, the family was obliged to auction the house and contents--quite sad. But he said his father told him that the tail rotor came off of a helicopter in Korea that had been damaged by enemy fire while evacuating some US Army soldiers. His father had kept it as a souvenir and somehow managed to get it home. He recalled that it hung from fishing line in the family room above from photos of his father in uniform.

The family kept the photos obviously, but I was invited to visit the son and acquire scanned copies of the pictures of his father if I wished. Knowing the history of this item, I offered to return it to the son as it seemed to have some sentimental attachment for him, but he declined saying that he's just glad someone ended up with it who will appreciate the history.

So, again, my heartfelt thanks to you all for the efforts in determining what this item is. I hope that I might someday be able to reciprocate.

Kind Regards,

Z

Comment

Here are a few updated pictures.
                      Attached Files

Comment

According to the son, based on what his father told him, this rudder was damaged, most likely by a flak shell, while performing medical evacuation service during the Korean War.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Last picture for now. If others are wanted, just let me know.

Of course, I realize that there is no way to authenticate the story here, but it certainly was not part of the original purchase. The antique store had no idea what this was and let it go for a little of nothing, and I only discovered the story through further digging.

So, take it for what it is.

Kind Regards,

Z
                          Attached Files

Comment

Outstanding!

Thanks for filling in the rest of the story! I am happy to have helped.

Steve

Comment

Great item, Zach! Its always nice to have a history and provenance with pieces of your collection.
                              Sydney

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X