Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Allan, I think we blurred the line between medal and insignia manufacturers as well as WW II and post war.

For what its worth, here is an insignia maker not on the list:

Hilborn-Hamburger Inc, NY.

this outfit even had their own hallmark.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
      I agree with Allan, I think we blurred the line between medal and insignia manufacturers as well as WW II and post war.
      Now Im confused. The list that was supplied in the two page scan above is NOT for medals? Or are some of the makers for medals.

If they are mostly for insignia, could the same maker marks be used for medals yet have different manufactuer names?

Comment

The two page scan is a listing of the alpha-numeric codes for insignia manufacturers in the late 1940's - early 1950's and later. I wouldn't doubt that some of those companies could have been making medals during WW II, but the list is only accurate as a post war manufacturer list.

There were many companies that were producing items to help in the war effort, and after the war was over, they went back to what ever they were making before. Some companies ceased to exist at all after the war, either closing their doors or disappeared through acquisitions and mergers. This is true for all facets of military equipment, not just medals and insignia.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by h009291
          Now Im confused. The list that was supplied in the two page scan above is NOT for medals? Or are some of the makers for medals.

If they are mostly for insignia, could the same maker marks be used for medals yet have different manufactuer names?
          Darrell there are(were) a number of manufacturers that made medals and insiginias - Meyer, Ira green, Vanguard I'm sure others will pop up and I'm sure there are just insignia manufacturers as well. So don't try and collect a medal from each manufacturer/contractor .

Mark - I think we are on the right track, Indentifying makers/contractors and then sorting out who made what and when, this could be a long thread once all the info is out there - it can be glombed into a single source. Who knows maybe we can identify Medals/insignia by variations of manufacture like the TR stuff. Would like to see later more of medals with boxes, that's going to be the only way to ID the unmarked medals/insignias

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
            The two page scan is a listing of the alpha-numeric codes for insignia manufacturers in the late 1940's - early 1950's and later. I wouldn't doubt that some of those companies could have been making medals during WW II, but the list is only accurate as a post war manufacturer list.

There were many companies that were producing items to help in the war effort, and after the war was over, they went back to what ever they were making before. Some companies ceased to exist at all after the war, either closing their doors or disappeared through acquisitions and mergers. This is true for all facets of military equipment, not just medals and insignia.
            To add to what Mark says, here's a list of makers and hallmarks of US wings. These same marks are found on other militaria of the era. Sometime after WW2 the US government required an additional numerical hallmark as in DMD's lists. The value of a sterling US wing of WW2 design is usually decreased if it has the post-war hallmark even if the front looks the same as the WW2 issued piece.
            Attached Files

Comment

A couple of major manufacturers of US Campaign Medals prior to WW2 were Northern Stamping Company and Joseph Mayer. They didn't hallmark their medals, but if you find a boxed medal, the label would have their name. Most un-prefixed (i.e., no "No." or "MNo." in front of the number) Army Campaign Medals were made by one of these two companies. And, they were produced many years after the initial medal issue (after all the supplies of No. and MNo. medals ran out) . Northern used large #'s. Mayer used very tiny numbers. See the below photo for an example of a medal made by Northern.

Other early US military medal contractors were S.E. Eby, Noble, and August Frank. Some of the earliest DFC's were made by August Frank (along with BB&B) and are so hallmarked.
              Attached Files

Comment

"Large" #'s used by Northern. Joseph Mayer used very small #'s (about half the size of the Northern #'s)
                Attached Files

Comment

When it comes to actual "hallmarks" on US Medals, most medals won't have a hallmark.
                  Some of the ones having them are:
                  USMC 2nd Haitian Campaign (hallmarked "Whitehead & Hoag" on the brooch
                  1932 Issue Silver Star - hallmarked BB&B on the reverse just above the top star point.
                  First Issue Distinguished Flying Cross (August Frank or BB&B on the reverse)
                  Early Legion of Merit Chief Commander - hallmarked BB&B
                  US Army Medal of Honor from WW2 or before - Dieges and Clust. There's another maker also, I just can't think of it
                  Early Issue Air Force Cross - HLP on the edge of one of the cross arms
                  Early Issue Air Force MOH - HLP on the reverse

There may be some others I haven't thought of. And of course, with the very recent medals, it's common to see some sort of hallmark on the ribbon brooch.
                  Kurt

Comment

found something on a single ribbon bar holder

H-H inc., H24, MC767

Another a "M" in a square followed by "GI"

G-GI

A "D" with a Lighting bolt stamped over it followed by GI

found on a Southwest Asia ribbon bar a large "A" on the side and "G-I" on the bottom

This one bugs me because I've seen it on several occasions:

A diamond with a zigzig line top to bottom and a dot on each side followed by "GI"

Comment

Will anyone volunteer to keep a running total of possible medal MMs? Maybe in a word or Excel document for publishing when this thread peters out?

Remember, it's easier to amass the data at the start than after 20 pages of replies

Comment

I am setting up a pinned thread and will attempt to compile the info.

Comment

Originally posted by VerKuilen Ager
                          I am setting up a pinned thread and will attempt to compile the info.
                          Excellent It will be a very informative document later on.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kurt A.
                            When it comes to actual "hallmarks" on US Medals, most medals won't have a hallmark.
                            Some of the ones having them are:
                            USMC 2nd Haitian Campaign (hallmarked "Whitehead & Hoag" on the brooch
                            1932 Issue Silver Star - hallmarked BB&B on the reverse just above the top star point.
                            First Issue Distinguished Flying Cross (August Frank or BB&B on the reverse)
                            Early Legion of Merit Chief Commander - hallmarked BB&B
                            US Army Medal of Honor from WW2 or before - Dieges and Clust. There's another maker also, I just can't think of it
                            Early Issue Air Force Cross - HLP on the edge of one of the cross arms
                            Early Issue Air Force MOH - HLP on the reverse

There may be some others I haven't thought of. And of course, with the very recent medals, it's common to see some sort of hallmark on the ribbon brooch.
                            Kurt
                            Kurt - This is also very good information for IDing medal makers. I was aware of the BBB marked 1932 Silver Stars and lapel buttons from a WWI Marine Silver Star grouping I own, but not the rest you have listed. For kicks, I spent most of the morning looking at the brooches and pendants on my boxed and dated medals and only came up with one additional logo. It's on my 1964 dated and boxed Antactica Service Medal with Silver Wintered Over Bar. The rim of the medal pendant has a large V within a circle for Volupte who made this medal.

Good information being shared in this thread!

Gary

Comment

Since Gary mentioned the Antarctica Service Medal, I checked the one in my collection. E. H. Simon is stamped on the rim at the eleven o'clock position.

Dennis

Comment

Gary-
                                Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing that V in a circle hallmark. I think I've seen a Navy Expeditionary Medal with it.
                                Kurt

Originally posted by GLM
                                Kurt - This is also very good information for IDing medal makers. I was aware of the BBB marked 1932 Silver Stars and lapel buttons from a WWI Marine Silver Star grouping I own, but not the rest you have listed. For kicks, I spent most of the morning looking at the brooches and pendants on my boxed and dated medals and only came up with one additional logo. It's on my 1964 dated and boxed Antactica Service Medal with Silver Wintered Over Bar. The rim of the medal pendant has a large V within a circle for Volupte who made this medal.

Good information being shared in this thread!

Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X