• Show
Clear All

M-1917A1 Helmet

Here's a M-1917A1 helmet I found at a fleamarket for $22
    Attached Files

Liner
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice Helmet Joe. Check the liner, often times there is an ID written into the leather.

Don

Comment

Hi Donald
        It does have an ID on the liner. H.R. Miller written on the top pad & on the side of the liner. Joe

Comment

Joe:

Nice piece! All I ever get at flea markets is fleas...
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Ralph
            I just about walked off from that helmet. I had just started collecting helmets and did'nt know anything about them(still don't know much) I knew the liner did'nt look like a WW1. I did'nt know what it was. I asked the guy at the table what it was. He did'nt know. I put it down and walked out the door. Then I stopped and went back in and ask the guy what he wanted for it. He said how about $22. I read Steel Pots and found out what it was. Joe

Comment

Just as a note for those who aren't familiar with these; although the designation suggests a W.W.I helmet, this was actually a rework that was ordered in 1936. Many of the shells dated to the Great War (new production didn't occur until 1940), but the liner was new. BY the way, the four panels should lap on top of (not under) the crown pad and be attached together with a cord.

A less than common helmet, in great condition, and a nice bargain!

Comment

Hi Histaria
                How do you tell if it's a WWI Shell or one produced in 1940? Mine's got an HS stamped on the bottom brim.

Joe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X