Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US WW1 Summer tunic

Hi guys,

What's your opinion on this tunic? My knowledge on WW1 US uniforms is pretty slim. It is undated and unmarked, so is it correct to say this is a private purchase? From what I have read this was the norm for officers? There is an honorable discharge chevron on the left sleeve, but no overseas chevron. My guess is that this indicates: 1) the wearer of the tunic never saw overseas service, or 2) he did go overseas but didn't make it to the 6 months required, or 3) he did go overseas but didn't bother sewing the overseas chevron on his sleeve afterwards. What hypothesis is the most likely?

I am also wondering what would be the correct collar discs on this one. Would it make a fine display piece when combined with a period belt, holster and doughboy helmet?

Many, many thanks in advance!

S

It is a standard issue Khaki drill summer coat for enlisted men. The one problem is that it has had officer cuff braid sewn on at sometime.
    The holes in the collar indicate discs were on it originally and the red discharge stripe was for enlisted men only. So why the cuff braid is there does not make any sense.
    I believe these summer coats were probably not worn in France during the war, (if so, very few were) and virtually all those that survive with ww1 insignia or patches were obtained by the soldier upon return to the US and worn on discharge.
    Almost any collar discs are appropriate.
    CB

Comment

Looks like an officer's tunic to me. I have had one and the shoulders make it apparent. However it may have been converted from enlisted to officer's. Looks pretty good to me.

Comment

Thanks for your opinions! I eventually didn't buy this tunic. Shipping included it would have cost me around 110 dollars, which maybe is a tad too much for a tunic with questionmarks. If it, as Jonsey2001 says, was converted from an EM to an officer's tunic, the discharge chevron still makes no sense. No officer would apply an enlisted men's discharge chevron when the war is over, right?

Anyway, I'll probably keep my eyes open for another tunic. Hopefully I'll come across a nice ID'ed grouping with a helmet and some unit insignia for a couple hundred bucks. If faith is on my side!

Thanks a lot guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Selstin View Post
          Thanks for your opinions! I eventually didn't buy this tunic. Shipping included it would have cost me around 110 dollars, which maybe is a tad too much for a tunic with questionmarks. If it, as Jonsey2001 says, was converted from an EM to an officer's tunic, the discharge chevron still makes no sense. No officer would apply an enlisted men's discharge chevron when the war is over, right?

Anyway, I'll probably keep my eyes open for another tunic. Hopefully I'll come across a nice ID'ed grouping with a helmet and some unit insignia for a couple hundred bucks. If faith is on my side!

Thanks a lot guys!
          Good decision! A better example will come.

CB

Comment

Good call, i surely didnt notice the discharge stripe on my phone.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X