Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L.C. Chase & Co. 1918 liner (brodie)

Hi guys,

Can I please have your thoughts on this helmet. I'm struggling to find any information about the markings on the liner. I was attracted to the sand finish/camo, but a lack info on the liner has me concerned.

The seller told me he bought the helmet in Tasmania and then added, "I was persuaded to buy it at the time as the liner was dated". Am I being paranoid, is everything all good?

Cheers,

Jamie.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by muzrub; 05-06-2015, 08:43 AM.

Thanks for looking & for your thoughts.

Cheers.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's a British Mk I helmet, salvaged and refurbished by AEF Ordnance. The original British liner was replaced by a US liner made by the L.C. Chase Co. as part of the refurb. The sand was added at the same time.

Comment

Thanks.

Very disapointing, the chances of this lid (as is) seeing action at the front is probably nil?
        I really liked the sand coating too.

Cheers.
        Last edited by muzrub; 05-06-2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Helmet

Whats' disappointing? Its a nice WWI US helmet

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz676 View Post
            Whats' disappointing? Its a nice WWI US helmet
            Refurbished and unless someone knows something different, it probably didn't see combat as is.
            If these refurbished type helmets saw action then I'd happily have it. As I wrote, I love the sand finish, but did it see the front after being refurbished? Probably not. But it's still a looker.

I wish all the boxes could've been ticked.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Comment

Being a salvaged item, it is not unlikely that this helmet saw service at the front. While salvage and refitting took place during the war, it continued until at least 1920, so it's impossible to say whether this one went back to the front after the refurb.

Comment

I've done some research over the years. The US, used British helmets until the US could sustain a supply for its own troops. On the other hand this helmet may have seen the front on more than one occasion. To me it is plain, but in great shape.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X