Just Curious....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Curious....

.....as to whether or not these mustard colored "For gas casualties only" metal first aid kits are for military use or civil defense?.....I came across one similar to this one that sold on eBay....Only difference is, the one I saw has a red cross in the center and no mention of US Army on the lid....Any thoughts appreciated as usual....Bodes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WWII...p2047675.l2557

The one pictured in the auction is for military use. Intended for 25 men and usually transported in a vehicle. There is no firm date on when they switched to an all-black case, but sometime in 1942.

Comment

Originally posted by historyguy View Post
      The one pictured in the auction is for military use. Intended for 25 men and usually transported in a vehicle. There is no firm date on when they switched to an all-black case, but sometime in 1942.
      Thanks Historyguy, The one I saw had a white sticker inside the lid....Listed were numerous remedies for various gas exposures....The odd thing was it had a woman's name at the bottom....Elizabeth Arden, New York.....The female name is what is making think this one may be civil defense....Bodes

Comment

Elizabeth Arden is the manufacturer, it was a perfume and cosmetics company that did make some styles of first aid kits.

If it was made for Civil Defense, there should still be a make or model number on it.

Comment

Originally posted by historyguy View Post
          Elizabeth Arden is the manufacturer, it was a perfume and cosmetics company that did make some styles of first aid kits.

If it was made for Civil Defense, there should still be a make or model number on it.
          That's interesting....I did a google search for Elizabeth Arden and it says her real name was Florence Nightingale Graham.....Is that ironic or what?....Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X