This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Is it just me or is no one familiar with excel documents. If someone has these electronic all you have to do is set a parameter and import the info define search criteria and bam!! You, I and everyone could use it. At anytime for free. This is what I did for a few years for my laboratory. It's not hard, it's a little work but it could be done. This could be a function add to the Wehrmacht server with practically no inconvenience. If someone wants to get this one rolling let me know and we can give it a whirl.

Kenneth

Comment

I'm looking for info on Pvt. George S. Simon from WV, county of Kawahna (may be spelled wrong). Born in 1914 and died in 2002. Part of the 39th Infantry during WWII. I dont want to pay to sign up at ancestry.com unless its a last resort.

Any help? I've written to a webmaster for a 39th infantry roll call that has a list of 39th members. Hopefully he can provide me with some direction.

Comment

Originally posted by landsknechte View Post
        As far as I know, there is no way to search with just the initial and the last four of the ASN. (I'd love to be proven wrong.) The info is out there, it's just that the NARA search engine isn't configured to allow it.

I think the only option will be something unit specific, and those of us with random marked bits without a specific unit connection are S.O.L.
        Yes, you can. I can't remember how to do it right this second. I emailed them and they told me how. Be prepared to get 7-8 matches, but it is a start.

I had the same idea as the original post, I have about 50 US unifroms 99% "out of the woodwork" and love researching who they were. I keep hoping one day a government website will exist that you type in a name and bam - all the info on an idividual.

Sadly, as mentioned before dealers will start adding names to jackets to get more money. Look at all the named 101st on ebay right now. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul70 View Post
          Yes, you can.
          No, you can't.

Believe me, I've tried, time and time again.

One used to be able to, as recently as 2-3 years ago, but since then, the NARA has re-engineered their research function and you can no longer search with a wild-card in the 2nd position, it has to be third, which would be incredibly time consuming (00%, 01%, 02% ... 99%) to execute.

If you already know the place of enlistment, (+ drafted vs. enlisted status), you could, in theory, cut down on search time.

But laundry mark alone would be quite time consuming.

Again, one used to be able to search laundry marks in a matter of 10 minutes or less, but like I said, since they re-engineered their search function, the NARA site no longer allows a ''second-position'' wildcard character.

Comment

Originally posted by historyguy View Post
            Believe me, I've tried, time and time again.
            Don't get the idea I am basing this on my experience alone... I have talk to other historians & researchers regarding this matter as well. It just can't be done since the re-engineering.

Comment

So sad. It has been two years or so, since I did the search. I will try to find the email and try it again.

Paul

Comment

Hi gents

Just obtained my first US WWII medal. A boxed and engraved bronze star. I want to try to check if something has survived at NARA, but how should I complete sections II and III on the SF180? (where you have to check the items where you would like to request a copy of (so actually as much as possible) and where you have to explain who the "requester" is... )
                Thanks for the help!
                cheers from Belgium
                l4h

Comment

Noone ?

Comment

Originally posted by love4history View Post
                    how should I complete sections II and III on the SF180? (where you have to check the items where you would like to request a copy of (so actually as much as possible) and where you have to explain who the "requester" is... )
                    Section II you want to check the box "All Documents in Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)." Also check the "Other" box and explain you want any info releasable under the Freedom of Information Act. It's a good idea to offer to pay the necessary fees. Andy posted a good example above for writing a letter, though his comments would be useful for a Form-180 request as well: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...9&postcount=30.

Section III you can put whatever you prefer, collector, writer, researcher, etc. I don't think it really matters too much, as long as you convey the idea this is for liesure/hobby and not business or legal.

The important points to remember are 1) Mention the Freedom of Information Act by name & 2) SIGN the Form-180.

Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks for the pointers! Form filled out accordingly and sent to NARA. Keep your fingers crossed

Comment

I have searched and searched for records on my great grandpa, and have only found very little. Can anyone help?

Comment

Ike jacket 101st airborne

Hey Everyone,

I recently aquired an ike jacket from the 101st airborne and i would like some more info about it.

Inside the jacket there is a number stenciled ( H-9148 ).
                          He was a Corporal ( T ) and the lanyards shows that he fought in Holland and in France.
                          He has a purple heart ribbon and a Eastern campaign ribbon with 2 stars on it. and on his presidental unit ribbon he has 3 oak leafs ( 4 awards ).
                          According to his stripes he served 18 months overseas.
                          The guy i bought it from says that his front name was Herbie.

Could someone help me to get some more info about this person ?

thx in advance

Comment

I'm looking for information on a family member who served in WWII. I've tried the NARA website, and I believe his records may have been destroyed in the fire.

His name was Gilbert Anthony Wisner, born 21 Oct. 1922 and died 18 Apr. 2004, he served in the 10th Mountain Division, 86th Mountain Infantry Battalion.

Inducted 10-4-1943

Discharged 11-24-1945

Anything (ASN, etc.) would be a great help. Thank you!

Comment

Researching?

try these websites for Military Service Records and Unit Hisotries:\\The National Archives:

www.archives.gov

US Army Center for Military History:

www.history.army,mil

Jus tposted this up on another thread, try the museum on post if you know the division the person pulled service in. Such as a Tank Destroyer/Hellcat trooper, contact the museum at Ft. Hood:

http://www.hood.army.mil/1stcavdiv/1...m/research.htm

For 101st Airborne:

http://www.campbell.army.mil/campbel...attMuseum.aspx

Their Forum:

http://www.fortcampbell.com/forums/index.php

This was taken off their forum:

my father and WWII and hitlers dog

<HR SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->my father was in the 101st during WWII he never spoke of the war--i know he was in 12 majore battles and a ton of skurmishes--please if u can help me--i grew up with an american hero and did not even know it--his name was david carol parks 101st path finders was the first to see and do every thing 2 purple hearts 2 bronze stars and 2 presidential citation awards--he was at berchengarden-he brought back hitlers dog--i have the news artical of the day--he could not get back to corpus christi texas where he was from so he begged a piolet to fly over the coast so he could jumpout of the plane with his dog and his duffle bag and his schute--which he did--he landed on the beach just south of free port texas where he stayed for 2 days till heading to corpus--i have stories of my father that would blow ur mind he was the indiana jones of his day--help if u cani need info on the battles and him

Which then links to 506PIR web pages among others:

http://www.menofeasycompany.com/home/index.php

82nd Airborne museum

http://www.bragg.army.mil/18abn/museums.htm

I am fortunate to have the 25th ID museum at Schofield Barracks up the street and as well I do static display restoration work for the Tropic Lightning and the museum at FT. Derussy in Waikiki.

Comment

My fellow forum members. I have a 17th Airborne gliders uniform named and numbered Steve J. Brodek 35058319 from Cuyahoga County Cleveland Ohio enlisted 1943. I would like to know more about this gent. I have already gotten as much information as from the NARA as possible. More information would be great. Regards, Bill

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X