Some more US patches: Airborne-related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more US patches: Airborne-related

A little free time to play with the scanner, so I thought I'd put up an assortment of airborne, ranger and special forces-related patches from my collection.

187th Regimental Combat Team (this appears to be one of many variations; Histaria: any insight?):

Last edited by Dave Danner; 08-02-2002, 10:55 PM.

5th Ranger Battalion:

From a history of the Ranger battalions of World War Two: "The 5th Ranger Battalion was constituted on July 21st, 1943 and was activated at Camp Forrest, Tennessee on September 1, 1943 under the command of Lt. Col. Max Scheinder. The 5th Ranger Battalion was involved in the landings at Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944, as well as campaigns in Northern France, the Rhineland, Central Europe and Ardennes-Alsace. The 5th Ranger Battalion earned a Presidential Unit Citation and a French Croix de Guerre with Silver-Gilt Star for the assault on Pointe du Hoc. A second Presidential Unit Citation was awarded for actions in the Saar River area."

The scroll was not authorized. The official insignia was the unpopular blue diamond "RANGERS" patch. Members of the 5th Ranger Battalion had their own scrolls privately made. Based on the age and material, I think mine may be one of these privately made pieces (the story is that the scrolls were made by nuns in a Bavarian convent and paid with German marks taken from a German Army paymaster), but it may be that this is an early post-war example (possibly English-made?). Again, Histaria is our resident US patch expert, so perhaps he will enlighten us and shatter my illusions?

Here, from H. J. Saunders U.S. Military Insignia, Inc., is a modern felt reproduction:

Comment

1st Ranger Battalion:

This is the version worn by 1st Batt after it was re-formed in 1974 and before the 75th Regiment was formed and the current scrolls issued. 1st Batt Grenada vets wear this as their combat patch.

This one came out of a pile of patches and insignia I picked up from a Korean lady at a flea market on Victory Drive. The whole lot was $7 and included about 10 of the old style scrolls (a mix of 1st and 2nd Batt, regular and subdued), as well as a Croix de Guerre lanyard, an Army Commendation Medal, and some ribbons.

Comment

A Ranger tab about which I know very little:

I have heard that this was the version of the qualification tab, as opposed to the unit scrolls, before the black and gold was adopted in 1950. I suppose that once again I need Histaria's insight.

Comment

Yet another about which I know even less:

I also screwed up saving the image of the front, which is black with gold letters.

Comment

The Electric Butterknife:

An early US Army Special Forces patch, with the unauthorized teal and gold AIRBORNE tab, instead of the standard black and gold.

The arrowhead shape symbolizes Special Forces' connection to the Indian Scouts and the dagger symbolizes the V 42 Fighting Knife of the US/Canadian First Special Service Force of World War Two fame ("The Devil's Brigade").

The three lightning bolts symbolize the three types of diving that SF soldiers must master: sky, SCUBA and muff.

Comment

RANGER Tab

Ranger Rectangle

I am told that the white on red RANGER rectangle is part of the OTC Ranger Challenge.

Comment

That wouldn't surprise me, although the only Ranger Challenge tabs I've seen were black and gold arcs like regular ranger tabs, but with "RANGER CHALLENGE". The cadidiots who showed up at Benning with these were very popular with the cadre.

Here are two more patches, 101st Airborne and 82nd Airborne Recondo patches. I'm not sure whether these are original or how you would tell, so any info would be appreciated.

Dave
                Last edited by Dave Danner; 08-05-2002, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X