MARS unit China, Burma, India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MARS unit China, Burma, India

A friend of mine who I've known for a long time has asked me to help him if I could. He never recieved any of his decorations from WWII. Check out his discharge papers, I sure as hell hope they come out. He asked me if I knew where he could get his awards and citations. The federal form 180 will take about 10 to 18 months I'm told. That's a long ass time to me. Any other ideas out there?
    Attached Files

Here is the other side of his discharge papers.
    Attached Files

Comment

Look at the medals awarded.
      Attached Files

Comment

I had a problem when I could not locate my DD214 which I was told never to lose. So of course I lost it and I wrote Phil Gramm and asked if he could get me another. I received a letter about six weeks later from the DoD that they had received a request for another DD214 and about a month later I received another DD214. In short go through our Senator, they have staffers to keep the constiuents happy.
        Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

I noticed the FIVE Bronze Stars. I said, "Damn Ernie! You got 5 Bronze Stars!" He said, "All I did was hold my ground and shoot back during some times of total chaos and mass confusion." He also said he was damn lucky. Next thing he did was pull me closer and he said, "Don't say anything to the guys about this, OK. This is just between you and me, my sons want my medals so I thought I'd track them down." With that I nodded and ordered us another beer. I'm figuring to just get his medals myself and dress mount them in a framed case, with his unit patch, rank, and ribbons. You know what I mean, we've all seen them advertised at the US medal sites. I think that is the quickest and easiest route to take. Any other ideas?

Comment

Great idea Greg! Thanks. I'll call Phil's office tomorrow.

Comment

The five bronze stars for his campaign medal must be what they refer to now as battle stars.

I still have yet to receive my Gulf medals, they hadn't been made yet by the time I ETS'd.

I would also be interested in anyone knowing a company where I can get a nice display case of mine made.
              Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Hello Michael,
                I heard these guys were the best. I've never done business with them but a few Vets down here have and they were happy with the end product. I think there are several other companies that do this. I just know of this one off hand.

http://www.usmedals.com/store.php3

Comment

I think the bronze stars mentioned are the ones on the ribbon of the campaign stars (dont know much about US medals though).

Comment

You're right Chris. So is Michael. These are battle stars, attached to the ribbon to signify the wearer was involved in major battles.
                    One was common, two was remarkable, but five was unheard of.For example, the battle of the bulge was considered as one star, so was D day considered as one star. The poor guys stuck in Italy for the entire war got one battle star according to these old guys.

I just contacted the "Medals of America" dudes. They pointed out to me that Bronze Star medals were later awarded....let me copy their published information......Bronze Star Medal later awarded

Awarded to WWII holders of Army Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge
                    my old friends papers above show he had the Combat Infantryman Badge...he'll get one of those too! Research can be fun, especially when there is a face to go with the medals. Wow, I'm having a great day even though it's raining AGAIN.
                    Last edited by mott5ranch; 07-15-2002, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I was awarded three battle stars for the Gulf, yet the battle of the bulge was considered one. WOW!

Gary, your friend really earned his CIB, it's too bad they give it away today. All those years fighting japs,snakes and tropical diseases and the only "individual" awards were his CIB and Good Conduct medal.

You can really see the difference in how they hand out medals from WWII to today. Nowadays a Bosnia or Afghan "vet" who sat in an air-conditioned tent with a telivision for 6 months would have a DD214 full of "heroism".
                      Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how WWI got started.

Comment

Well, it took a while. The medals from the government still haven't showed up. So I put a set together myself. My friends and I are going to give it to the old man this week at a surprise party.
                        I called Medals of America and although they do quality work they wanted $300 for the exact display I put together for $139. That was a much easier bill to split amoung a few old timers. Here is the true display of Ernesto's awards.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X