Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US 11th Airborne

Hi,

Is anybody able to tell from scans whether this is a WW2 vintage US 11th Airborne patch? It feels like silk and has been removed from a uniform (not by me - the green cotton thread is still present). It does not glow under blacklight. What is it worth? Where was this unit active?

Thanks for any info.

Regards
    Mike K

Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Patch id

I may be mistaken...but

That looks llike the SSI of the 11th Air Assault Division, which became (transitioned to) the 1st Cavalry Division in 1965. The 11th AAD was experimental, using helicopters to deliver troops.

It might have had an earlier life at the close of WW2.

David

Comment

Hi Mike, Looks like it could be a Japanese made patch. That would also explain the silk possibility. They were activated at Camp Mackall NC on Feb. 25, 1943. They were active in the Pacific theater and jumped on the Los Banos prison camp in the Phillipines and liberated it on Feb. 23, 1945.

The division was assigned occupation duties in Japan on the islands of Honshu and Hakkaido.

Later redesignated the 187th Airborne combat group and assigned to the 101st Airborne Div. in Sept. 1956. "Rakkasans"

They were also active on Leyte in late 1944.

Comment

Many Thanks guys!

For Sparky, does possibly being made in Japan mean it is a repro or produced there during the occupation? Also, I've heard/read that many WW2 US patches were made from silk?

Regards
        MIke K
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Hi Mike, That is correct. I should have clarified what I meant. It looks like one of the types that was made during occupation probably around 45-46. Still, a nice patch to have as it is a variant. Sells for around $5-$20. Note- It should have a seperate "Airborne" tab at the top for wear by Airborne qualified personnel.

Comment

For my 2 cents worth, the thick typography, lack of integral arc, and heavy white bobbin thread put this well into the late 1950s or early '60s. Also, don't see anything indicating Japanese manufacture, just a typical U.S. make of the postwar period.

Comment

I just found out that the Quartermaster Museum web page has a page illustrating Airborne unit patches: http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/airborne/patches.html

For comparison's sake:

11th Airborne Division

11th Air Assault

Comment

Here's a Japnese occupation era piece. Hand-embroidered silk red and blue (quilted blue area) and hand-applied bullion work.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X