Meritorious Unit Citation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meritorious Unit Citation

What was done to be awarded the meritorious unit citation? I have seen ones that have 2,2 and even 4. Can anybody provide some info?
    Thanks!

As the name implies these awards are issued to a unit for a particular action/service opposed to individuals. In the US Army there are at least 10 different types of unit citations and all have a specific award criteria. For example; the Army Meritorious Unit Commendation Award is awarded to a unit for at least six months of outstanding service during a period of combat. Army Personnel who were assigned to the unit at the time of awarding are authorized to wear the citation throughout their time in the service. However, personnel who are members of a unit after the award is presented can only wear the award while they are assigned to that unit. Unlike the other branches of the US military, the Army does not wear Unit Citations with other awards over the left breast pocket on a ribbon bar. Unit Citations are worn separate on the right side. It is not uncommon to see units that have been awarded several citations.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.homeofheroes.com/medals/r...bons_unit.html

John<O
    Last edited by Market Garden; 03-06-2004, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I am glad this topic came up

Is there any difference to the wreaths on these that were awarded to USAAF vs US Army? I have read of thin wreath variants..are there actually differences that apply to branches of service?

I would be very grateful if someone could take the time to show us the differences of these, not only of design, but also of period manufacture.

(that rforce link is kind of screwy, it mixes real with gaming fantasy. There has to be better references out there)
      Last edited by Mark Schroeder; 03-06-2004, 01:48 PM.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

I believe Rolf's original question deals with the Meritorious Unit Citation patch. The MUC was to be given to units (as small as a company sized element) who distinguished themselves in a support role and not in a direct combat role like the Presidential unit citation (it was a way to recognize those units who made possible the successes of the combat arms).

Originally a patch depicting a wreath, it was to be worn on the sleeve of the uniform. Numbers denoted successive awards of the MUC. later it was changed to a ribbon device surrounded by a frame to bring it in line with the other citations.

A great article on this award appeared in an issue of the Journal of the Orders and Medal Society of America. (the above info is from my memory and might be little incorrect)

Gary B
        ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X