Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Ribbon Find

Hello:

Just thought I would share my recent find with you all. On my way back from San Antonio today, I stopped by a local antique mall along IH-35 and found a plastic baggie filled with some older U.S. ribbons. I picked up the bag and saw some ribbons that I didn’t recognize, so that sparked my interest. I then poured the contents of the bag out on the counter and sorted through them and this is the gem I came up with… (see frame #2)

John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Market Garden; 03-04-2004, 11:01 PM.

MOH Ribbon

The Gem. It is kind of beat-up but still a nice find. Anyone have an idea of what year this is from?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Market Garden; 03-04-2004, 08:56 PM.

Comment

The rest of them

Anyone see any other ribbons of interest?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Market Garden
        Other than the MOH (which you can't sell or buy, whatever today's translation is...) the rest are not all too valuable, money wise. However, that said, there are some really nice late-40's ribbon examples there! Looks like someone had a small collection and then just kept them all together. I'd be quite happy finding that in an antique store!!!

--Dave

Comment

WOW I wonder how the MOH ribbon got there? That is a very nice find. Too bad you cant trace it to find out who earned it. Market Garden, being from San Antonio do you know a fellow who goes by the nickname "Buffalo Chip"? His real name is Frank Smith. In the early 80s he would go to McAllen and the air show at Harligen selling militaria. Anyway nice ribbon

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Pacheco
            ... being from San Antonio do you know a fellow who goes by the nickname "Buffalo Chip"? His real name is Frank Smith. In the early 80s he would go to McAllen and the air show at Harligen selling militaria.
            Frank:

Sorry, don't know him.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Market Garden
              What you appear to have is a fairly complete group of all US Army decorations and service medals up to the Korean War, probably from a 1950s salesman's samples or the like. The campaign medals go from the Civil War Campaign Medal through the Korean Service Medal, and you have all the decorations the Army could award at that time: Medal of Honor, Distingushed Service Cross, Distingushed Service Medal, Silver Star, Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Soldiers Medal, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Air Medal - except the Army Commendation Medal and the Good Conduct Medal.

Comment

I think this is someones "collection". I do not see any doubles in the picture of the group. It covers quite a bit of ground from Civil War to Korea. That could also explain why they are all on the same kind of slider (meaning bought around the same time). Age wise, I have no idea. The MOH is always a keeper no matter what vintage. A good find.

Jason

Comment

I think Dave and I posted at the same time! That makes sense that its a sales example.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Danner
                    What you appear to have is a fairly complete group of all US Army decorations and service medals up to the Korean War...except the Army Commendation Medal and the Good Conduct Medal.
                    Dave:

Wow! Instant collection, minus 2 ribbons for less then the cost of a 12 pack of Carta Blanca - Cerveza (Mexican Beer).

Thanks for the input!

John

Comment

John, The last time I checked that MOH ribbon was priced around $50.00. May be a lot more now! Great find, Jeff
                      "Great hunter yes! great fisherman yes! fine figure of a man yes! that is all you need to know" Jeremiah Johnson.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X