An interesting Airborne uniform.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting Airborne uniform.

There's seems to be alot of interest in US Airborne here so thought I'd share this one...
    The uniform of noted U.S. Airborne General Matthew Ridgway.

In 1997 the estate of General and Mrs. Matthew Ridgway was put up for auction. Many esoteric and unusual lots were sold with the significant pieces being Ridgeway's "Ridgeway hat", his miniature medal group, and his uniform. I had the pleasure of purchasing this uniform at auction and sold it soon after. I happily reacquired it this week. This is a significantly historical American uniform of course to a General who led the 82nd Airborne during WWII and won fame with actions in Sicily and Normandy. He commanded the XVIIIth Airborne Corps through it's successes in the Battle of the Bulge as well. In Korea he led the 8th Army and at MacArthur's removal took over as the UN Commander. His troops were demoralized from the Chinese intervention and were pushed back into South Korea. Under Gen. Ridgway the Chinese would be thrown out of South Korea and an armistice would be negotiated. Leaving Korea he became Army Chief of Staff and retired in 1955. A West Point graduate, Ridgway is one of the premier American General's of the 20th Century.

General Ridgway's named and documented uniform is complete with sterling pinback stars, obvious to the uniform is that the 4th set was added upon his promotion. The ribbon group is an impressive set with Distinguished Service Cross with OLC, Distinguished Service Medal with two OLC's, Silver Star with OLC, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star with V & OLC, Purple Heart, European Campaign with arrowhead and numerous campaign stars, Korean Service with arrowhead and campaign stars, and UN Korea Service! The WWII vintage paratrooper badge has had a star affixed and the collar devices are a single set of US's without branch as worn by General officer's. The pants are an exact match to the uniform and identically laundry marked. The uniform is exactly as worn by the General and in excellent condition.

Last edited by wartimecollectables; 03-04-2004, 02:19 PM.

Originally posted by wartimecollectables
    There's seems to be alot of interest in US Airborne here so thought I'd share this one...
    The uniform of noted U.S. Airborne General Matthew Ridgeway.

Andrew,
    Awesome uniform and a true piece of Airborne history you've got there. Matt spelled his last name without the "E" though.
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Allan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X