Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USAAF bomber photos

Hey all,
    Anyone collect nose art or bomber crew photos? A close friend of the family let me do some research on her father. He was a bombardier on a B24 stationed in Italy. Can't remember the bomber group. I met him once when we were in high school. My girlfriend now wife and I had gone to their house to celebrate new years. Our friend Hollie, whose parents were very drunk could hardly walk. What I will never forget is Hollie's father taking our picture. He was so wobbly I thought he would fall down but when he put the camera to his face he was like a statue. He took the photo and went back to his wobbling behavior until he put the camera to his face a second time. Once again like a statue. Anyway, he had this drawing in his living room and when I did the research Hollie let me take a photo of it.
    David Tiffin
    "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Here are some nose art photos.
    David Tiffin
    "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

next
      David Tiffin

Comment

another
        David Tiffin

Comment

Here's a crew photo from the 492nd Bomber group, B24 "Carpetbaggers"
          David Tiffin

Comment

Comment

Hi,
              Thanks for posting the info about the 492. It was very interesting. I need to find out what sq. my friends Father was in. When I do can I get you to look it up in your book?
              Thanks.
              David Tiffin

Comment

Let me know what squadron number...the book covers every active Army Air Corp (Air Force) squadron in ww2. Pretty much the same info as this scan on the 492nd. Glad it was helpful...
                jason

Comment

My former spouse's uncle flew B 24s with 446th Bomb Group, 706th Bomb Squardron. Shot down 31 July 1944 and executed by the SS along with his copilot and tail gunner. Exwife has copies of war crime trials that we got from national archives. Pettry cool stuff, has statments from the SS guys with english translations. They say they were following Himmler's orders and took the crew to a wooded area and shot them. The rest of the crew went to POW camp and made it home. I have met the right waist gunner and engineer and corresponded with the families of the rest of the crew.

The SS guys were also tryed for killing four members of another crew. Not sure but I think two or three of the Germans were hung and the rest got jail time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X