X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badge quiz

A quiz in two parts.

1. Why is this in the right forum?

2. What is the badge on my friend Peeter's right breast pocket?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Dave Danner
    A quiz in two parts.

1. Why is this in the right forum?

2. What is the badge on my friend Peeter's right breast pocket?
    Howdy Bub
    Cant tell what the badge is. Could you give us a closer picture

Thanks
    Stebe R

Comment

Originally posted by SteveR
      Howdy Bub
      Cant tell what the badge is. Could you give us a closer picture

Thanks
      Stebe R
      The badge appears at a distance to have a patch type DI for the Infantry School in the center, thus I would assume that he was an instructor at Ft. Benning.
      Allan

Comment

Dear Dave,

Allan appears correct in his assesment that the blue badge is the "Follow Me" DI/Patch. As a graduate of the Infantry Officer Basic and Advanced Course, I should know this....I don't believe the instructors wore a badge. I believe the foreign exchange students (those sent to attend the basic and/or advance officer course) were given a badge that denoted they were exchange students. I also believe they got the right to wear this as a permanant part of the uniform upon graduation.

Gary B
        ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

That is correct. Foreign students graduating from Fort Benning courses get this badge - the Infantry School DUI on an octagonal gold star. I knew Lt. Col. Peeter Hoppe, who is now the acting commander of the Estonian Army, when he was here in 1997.

Regarding instructors at Benning, they do wear a badge. It is a larger version of the school DUI crest worn on a fob like French regimental badges. We used to call it the "push-to-talk" badge. You have to have completed the Army Instructor Training Course (TAITC) to qualify to wear it; I taught at Benning but since I hadn't formally completed TAITC, I couldn't wear it myself.

Comment

Dear Dave,

Now that you mention it I do recall the "push to talk" badge. Brought back some memories! I saw my former Small Group Instructor on TV as a COL with the 82nd Abn Div. Man I am gettgin old!

Gary
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B
              Dear Dave,

Now that you mention it I do recall the "push to talk" badge. Brought back some memories! I saw my former Small Group Instructor on TV as a COL with the 82nd Abn Div. Man I am gettgin old!

Gary
              Gary,
              I was watching the news about Saddam's capture by soldiers of the 4th Infantry Division. One of the Captains that I used to run around with was wearing bird colonel eagles.
              That is OLD!
              Allan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X