Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 American ribbon bar ?'s

Afternoon all...
    waht a beautiful day...almost 80 and blue sky!
    Now to the point...
    Here's a basic little ribbon bar...I know its the Navy Expeditionary, Asiatic -Pacific Campaign and American Campaign ribbons. Could they all be on the same bar? Which takes precedence? The Navy Expeditionary seems to be listed first on charts...so I gather it is? Is the stiching of the back normal?
    What are the stars for...participation in certain battles? Thanks again all..

take care,
    jason
    Last edited by jlava; 04-11-2002, 05:03 PM.

Hi,

The stars are campaign stars. The bar is pictured upside-down and the 2 WWII campaign medals are in reverse order; the NEM should be first, then the American Campaign and Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medals. The American Campaign Medal is upside-down too, because the center stripes should both be in the order blue-white-red.

Judging by the stitching and shape and lack of a Victory Medal, it's probably a wartime ribbon bar.

No "W" on the NEM, so it's not for Wake Island. For this medal, one star indicates two expeditions. Could be a retread who served in China, Nicaragua, Haiti, Honduras or the DomRep in the 1920s. Haiti ended Aug. 1931 and there was only one other campaign credit authorized for the 1930s: for the Panay Incident in 1937. The Naval Historical Center has a <a href="http://www.history.navy.mil/medals/nem.htm">list</a>, but it seems to be as of 1953.

Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dave.... I'm collecting friends so called crap they have stuffed in closest and basements...one man gathers what another man spills...have to broaden my collection so guests don't get all funny when they see that evil German stuff...
      thanks again
      jason

Comment

So if correct it would be as thus:

Comment

Jason,
          Nice ribbn bar. Check out the neat locking catch on the back. It looks like a few others I have seen over the years. I agree with Dave about it's age.

In regard to the order first posted.........

...my dear od granny used to say when she don't look quite right at first just flip her over

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X