No announcement yet.

Combat Worn and Damaged Paratrooper Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice helmet and great you have the story with it..

Comment

General Billingslea

I own both the white and blue messdress uniforms of General Charles Billingslea. They both have his name emboidered on the inside and also come with his officers frame cap.

He commanded the 325th immediately following the Normandy invasion right to the end of the war.

Comment

Pathfinder

Walter,

depending on when he entered service he even might have been a pathfinder of the 325th GIR (yes they had their own PF's).
        A lot of parachute qualified troops were also just send from the States and directly transferred into the 325th after the Normandy where the 325th had severe losses. It is also correct that a lot of the Glidermen volunteered for parachute qualification. This practice was already done during training in the US and was continued when they were in England. Provided that they stayed on jump status, having to make the so-called "pay jumps", they were indeed paid the $50 a month extra. However, after Normandy Glider qualified personel received the same hazardous duty payment.

As said before Walter, beautiful helmet and one of a kind!

Comment

Super story and helmet Walter!

I can't help to notice that the helmet steel seems much thinner and softer than a German FJ helmet would be. I wonder if a round, at that same angle and near the top of the helmet, would have penetrated a FJ helmet in the same manner.

And no, I am not willing to try it out.....

Willi
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I was told by a vet that you could put a 10 penny nail through the US helmets, but when it came to the German Helmets, couldn't do it! This vet tried to take home a German helmet and he had a box. He tried forcing it in and eventually hit it with a sledge hammer but the helmet did not go in, rather split the box apart! Good quality steel!

PS I'll give you $5.00 for that damaged in somewhat decent condition helmet there...

Love it!

Comment

Thank you all for your comments
              When you go home
              Tell them for us and say
              For your tomorrow
              We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
              Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X