Old US bayonet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old US bayonet?

I bought this at an estate sale a few months ago and never looked into it. Does anyone know what type of bayonet it is and a fair asking price? It's actually in pretty decent shape. The leather scabbard is still somewhat soft but the hanger part is alittle dry. As far as I can see the only marks on it are US which are on the blade and ID (see photos and the red US just shows the location of the US).
    Thanks.
    Attached Files
    David Tiffin
    "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

More photos
    Attached Files
    David Tiffin
    "They were the Leathernecks, the old breed of American regular, regarding the service as home and war an occupation!" (John Thomason, Jr. Fix Bayonets)

Comment

This one looks to be a US Civil War piece- I am going by the odd tip on the scabbard. Of course, all of these bayonets look alike. It would help to have the diameter of the hole as this bayonet could be an M1873 Springfield bayonet too.
      Allan

Comment

Thanks Allan, the size of the opening is just short of 2 cm or 13/16s. I also found a couple of more markings while measuring the opening. They are on the opening end, one to the left is either a "A" or a ">" but pointing up and on the right there is there is a "18" with an "x" under the 1.
        David Tiffin

Comment

Just received this from a collector in the UK.
          Dear Dave,
          Your bayonet is a British Pattern 1853 rifle-musket bayonet, the
          second most used weapon in the U.S. Civil War. I did a paper on this
          in 'Man-at-Arms' February 2002 under the heading 'Enfield Bayonets in
          the Civil War 1861-1865'. pp. 19-47. The scabbard is a U.S. Type IV of
          the late war period. I cannot read the British markings but suspect
          they will be either a 'B' with a number or 'BSAT' & no. These are
          commercial Birmingham marks as our government factories did not really
          supply weapons to either side. The name of a maker eg. Salter, Deakin
          etc. may be there too? A few 'US' marked bayonets are known, presumably
          from the North.
          I cannot really comment on value as such items vary according to
          condition, rarity etc. from UK to USA. Over here an ordinary P.1853 in
          scabbard is around £100. ($165) The bayonets are quite common in UK.
          The 'T.D.' on the blade shoulder is odd. Usually markings are put on
          the socket or ricasso. This may be an owner's marking.
          If you send me close ups of the blade markings I will try to sort them
          out.
          David Tiffin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X