N.C. Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N.C. Medal

Purchased a small WWI and WWII U.S. group today and was wondering what this medal may be? I had never seen one and was issued by the state of North Carolina. Is it some type of vet reunion pin? I assume WWI?
    I appreciate any help...
    Attached Files

The back..
    Attached Files

Comment

Perry, I believe these were issued by each state to WWI veterans. I've seen one for New York. I don't belive they were for a reunion, it was given for their service.

Comment

It's a North Carolina WW1 Service Medal, issued by the State of N.C. I am not sure if they used the same design for WW2, but yours is definitely WW1 vintage.

Tim
        "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - President Merkin Muffley

Comment

Many thanks, so if you were in WWI and were a N.C. native you recieved this medal?
          Also was it common practice in the modern era (1970-now) for Presidents to send Birthday greetings and marriage reunion congrat cards to living WWI vets? This guys got one from Carter and Reagan...

Comment

It is an extra medal that the state gave to the soldier for their service. I am not sure how many states participated in this practice.

Comment

Only a few states practiced this, I think it was around 10 or so, but many, many cities and organizations participated in this practice. There are hundreds of different ones made by dozens of different companies. Prices can range from $10 for a common one to $400 or more for rarer ones. Some of these were even made from solid gold!
              They sure knew how to treat their Vet's back then....

Comment

The North Carolina World War Service Medal was was approved 10 March 1919 for presentation to all North Carolina veterans of WWI, whether volunteers, draftees or national Guardsmen. The state had about 76,500 veterans.

The NC medal is somewhat unusual in that it had a safety pin sewn to the ribbon for suspension. The ribbon was such quality that most are now tattered. To find a clean, intact piece is tough.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X