USA Legion of Merit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA Legion of Merit

Supposedly from the Korean War... How's it look to you guys? Also, underneath the pin area at the top of the ribbon, is the name inscribed there or is that the maker? It says "Graco GI"

Can't help feeling that its more plasticy and toy like... Maybe I'm just too used to Iron Crosses

Its a modern made example and "Graco" is the maker. http://www.gracoind.com/

Comment

I agree a modern example that can be picked up today anywhere, still for a modern one the stars look nice, sometimes these can look a little sloppy.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Very modern, probably no more than 15 years old. A Korean War-era LoM would have some vault to the enamel (and real enamel, not epoxy) and the suspension loop would be braised closed or at least pressed very tight. (Actually most Korean War LoMs would be WWII-made pieces left in the supply system, so would be very likely to have slot broochs).

Comment

Interesting, Thanks for the Info!

It is rather shoddily made though, you would think that we would make our Military awards of a higher quality

Comment

[QUOTE: It is rather shoddily made though, you would think that we would make our Military awards of a higher quality [/QUOTE]

This is what the US government wants. I've asked the owner of Graco about this precise point, and he says the government doesn't want to pay for quality work. So we get epoxy Legions of Merit and campaign medals that look like third prizes in a spelling bee.

Nothing but the finest for the troops!

Comment

This is what the US government wants. I've asked the owner of Graco about this precise point, and he says the government doesn't want to pay for quality work. So we get epoxy Legions of Merit and campaign medals that look like third prizes in a spelling bee.

Nothing but the finest for the troops!
              Unfortunately the Canadian government seems to be of the same opinion. We go from sterling silver medals in WW2 (eg the Canadian issue of the War Medal) to this monstrosity: the Special Service Medal with NATO bar:
              Attached Files

Comment

And a ribbon in old german colors?

Comment

It looks like a KVK (Merit cross) ribbon... interesting. Where did they get the black stripe from? Is there any particular reason or meaning? I can't see it.

Ciao,

Claudio

Comment

The center stripe is actually dark green. It is 13mm in width, with the white and red side stripes each 5mm in width for a total width of 33mm.

Possibly more than you ever wanted to know: http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/018-21_e.asp

Regards,
                    Dave

Comment

That "stay brite" stuff just looks terrible, and most modern day medals have that fake patina along with that ugly finish, definitely nothing to go risk oneself over IMO...

Comment

I hate this staybrite finish too. Take a look at the actual Bundeswehr Einsatzmedaille (Operations Medal) which should be of the same character as the canadian medal. An absolutely fanciless design. The back is completely plain!
                        The most beautiful is the ribbon...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Older Type Legion of Merit

Originally posted by JBFloyd
                          .... A Korean War-era LoM would have some vault to the enamel (and real enamel, not epoxy) and the suspension loop would be braised closed or at least pressed very tight.....
                          I do not understand the collecting of US orders and medals because they are all commercially available. Named US awards or awards with documents are different. But this and another discussion of the Legion of Merit Orders indicates that there is some interest in US orders just for their design and quality (or lack of it).

Can somebody tell me whether the orders shown here are older, not available anymore in this quality and somewhat collectible.
                          Dietrich

Comment

Originally posted by d-riemer
                            ..... Can somebody tell me whether the orders shown here are older, not available anymore in this quality and somewhat collectible.....
                            The picture did not make it with the previous post.
                            Attached Files
                            Dietrich

Comment

The chief commander and commader grades look to have some age (1960s perhaps). These types are available through the usual suspects, but the modern ones are flat, epoxy rather than enamel, and of low quality. The earlier pieces, with higher vaults on the enamel are of interest and still relatively less common. Since these grades only went to foreigners, many US collectors ae not interested in them. I like them because they went to foreigners.

WWII Legions of Merit often have excellent hand engraving, are on silver-based planchets and represent the highest quality manufacture. Once you see one, you'll never be confused about the difference between old and new.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X