Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

34th ID "Red Bull" badge

Hi guys,
    just received this, which I believe is a badge of american 34th infantry div. "Red Bull"... I was wondering if it was an official pin or not.
    Also someone could tell me its value?
    Thanks,
    Matteo
    Attached Files
    Looking for italian fascist militaria (RSI period preferably) - badges insignia awards ID cards and everything else!

More likely unofficial in my opinion, this is an interesting badge, you're probably aware of this but the 'Red Bull's' skull is on the shape of an 'olla' a Mexican flask.

They participated in Tunisa, Cassino, the Gothic Line and Po Valley.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

The pin is a "Distinctive Insignia" or DI, and is referred to by collectors as a "patch type" as it mirrors the shoulder sleeve insignia of the division. Yours is foreign made out of "pot metal." I would have said "German made" by the design and qualityof the piece, but I don't think the 34th Division ever left the Italian Peninsula.
      It was certainly worn, though not necessarily an official piece.
      Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan H.
        The pin is a "Distinctive Insignia" or DI, and is referred to by collectors as a "patch type" as it mirrors the shoulder sleeve insignia of the division. Yours is foreign made out of "pot metal." I would have said "German made" by the design and qualityof the piece, but I don't think the 34th Division ever left the Italian Peninsula.
        It was certainly worn, though not necessarily an official piece.
        Allan
        Foreign made, this sounds interesting, in fact at first I bought it as an italian badge, for the typical pin style. So I think that it was likely made in Italy, judging also from the location of the unit.
        Cheers,
        Matteo
        Looking for italian fascist militaria (RSI period preferably) - badges insignia awards ID cards and everything else!

Comment

Use depends on the size. If it's not in the neighborhood of 30 mm, it wasn't a d.i.. A reasonable number of smaller (around 15 mm) painted pot metal insignia were made in Italy and sold to G.I.s as souvenir and sweetheart items. Can't tell for sure from the photo, but judging by the size of the pin relative to the emblem, I'd wager it's one of those smaller (souvenir) pieces. They, by the way, weren't limited to U.S. insignia. I even have one for the Brazilian force.

Comment

The diameter of insignia is exactly 15mm, so it is a souvenir piece....thanks all for your help

Cheers,
            Matteo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X