WWI Wounded in Action Certificate Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Wounded in Action Certificate Help Please

I found this at an estate sale many years ago and framed it. It is a WWI wounded in action certificate. Awarded before Purple Hearts were issued to WIA WWI vets, I presume.

Very nice drawing with great detail, picture is not good, ignore the flash on the bottom left.

The top says... Columbia gives to her son the accolade of the new chivarly of humanity

The bottom says ..

Anthony Loranta Est Co E 109th Infantry
    Served with honor in the World War and was sounded in action,

signed by Wilson

Any help with this would be appreciated. This is the only one I have ever seen and I used to collect WWII purple hearts. Are these common? Any clue to the value?

Here is the picture...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ty Smith; 11-04-2003, 07:45 PM.

Ty,

These are relatively common documents and sell in the $35-55 range, depending on condition. Unusual units can drive the price up dramatically.

The 109th Infantry was part of the 28th Division, mostly made up of Pennsylvania National Guardsmen.

Pvt Anthony Lorentzo, of New Britain, Connecticut, shows up in the 28th Division history as being wounded. He was discharged 16 May 1919. Unfortunately, no date is given for his wound. If he ever applied for a Purple Heart after 1932, his award card would have the date of his wound, which would then key into what the 109th was doing at the time. The cards are held in St. Louis and are a pain to break out of the hands of the bureaucrats.

Comment

Excellent Jeff, That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks very much, Ty

Comment

Loranta? Loranto? Lorentzo? I can't read what the scan actually has.

I've got the WW1 records of Connecticut's servicemen and women and nobody of anything even distant similarity was listed from anywhere in Connecticut. They do list people "disputed" as "from" other states (many crossed the line into New York to enlist, etc).

Comment

Hi Rick - Definetly Anthony Loranta Co E 109th Infantry.

Thanks for your help Rick and Jeff

Comment

The Lorentzo spelling comes right from the 5-volume 28th Division history. Lots of room for clerical errors driving researchers nuts.

He's not in the Connecticut WWI book, nor did he apply for Pennsylvania service medals. Back to the WWI award cards for what the US Army has for records on his possible Purple Heart.

Comment

Hanging in my father's basement is on of these documents to my great grandfather in a very old frame. I have been asking him for it for years. He would never, ever hold onto any militaria related item but will NOT, in any way, let this go. I'll be at his house this weekend - I'll see about getting the unit info (he was a Lithuanian immigrant and lived in NYC).

Brian

Comment

I think what we have here is the classic Nobody Spelled It Right (Including The Person Himself)... "Ellis Island Syndrome."

I just had a whip through the Social Security Death Index and come up with VERY few

LorantaS: in Pennsylvania (closest match)

LorantOS: in Missouri and New York

Lorentzo: NY and Indiana

None are Anthony. These three appear to be Lithuanian, Greek, and Italian.

Pennsylvania state records absofreakinlutely SUCK. Unless you are prepared to go to the central archive (in Harrisburg, I believe-- I could tell you family Horror Stories, but will spare you the bloodcuurdling details ) IN PERSON, forget anything on this one. ESPECIALLY when apparently EVERYBODY spelled his name wrong.

Comment

That is too strange that everyone spelled his name right. I would think they would at least get it right on a wounded in action certificate. Poor guy, I wonder if they spelled it right on his tombstone

Thanks guys for your help. I think this guy will remain a mystery

Comment

Help

I have a WW1 Wounded in Action certificate and I can not read the soldiers name at the bottom. Can anyone help me with that.

I have tried to attached the picture. It wont let me as it is on my computer but I really need help with this.
                    Last edited by JenG123; 04-29-2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JenG123 View Post
                      I have a WW1 Wounded in Action certificate and I can not read the soldiers name at the bottom. Can anyone help me with that.

I have tried to attached the picture. It wont let me as it is on my computer but I really need help with this.
                      First of all, welcome to the forum....You will need to become an Association member to post pictures......The fees are $25/yr......You can either become an association member or find a host site which will store your photos, so that they can be shown....I believe these are fee less....Good Luck, Bodes

Comment

WIA 09-06-1918

Sept 6, Division attacks several strong points and reaches a line extending from the northern edge of the Bois Vigneux toward the northwest, along the high ground, to the vicinity of la Croisette.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X