US Army Dress Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Army Dress Jacket

I know this isn't a WW2 piece but I didn't know where I should post it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Collectable...on-6701740.htm

First, looking at the Ribbons, they would look to date this tunic post 1980 and probably pre - Desert Storm (Just out of interest where would have US Forces been overseas around this time?). But the shoulder patch is for what I think is the 102d Inf. Div but I haven't been able to find any information about this unit that dates after 1945, does this mean they were broken up after the war?

So what i'm guessing that this is a WW2 uniform that has had ribbons added to it by someone try to increase the price.

Am I right?

I'm no expert on these sort of things and I don't want to buy a dud.

Many thanks

Your Assumptions are Correct

David: Your assumption is correct. This uniform with those awards could never had existed. Allow me to list the main reasons.

- The Joint Service Commendation Medal wasn't established until 1963
    - The Army Achievement medal wasn't established until 1981
    - No campaign type ribbons or expeditionary ribbons
    - The Military Intelligence Insignia on the lapel (the MI Corps as a branch did not exist during WWII)
    - The U.N Ribbon... need I say more about that

The US was involved in Central America (El Salvador, Honduras, & Nicaragua) throughout the Eighties and into the early part of the 1990's. However, I don't think any combat awards to include the Purple Heart were issued to US Personnel. This is/was a big stink for those US Military "Advisors" that served in El Salvador during their 12 year Civil War.

The 102nd Infantry Division was a Missouri/Arkansas Army Reserve unit that was activated at Camp Maxey, Texas on 15 Sep 42. Transferred to Camp Swift, Texas on 18 Nov 43, and arrived at Fort Dix, NJ on 23 Jun 44. Staged at Camp Kilmer, NJ from 6 Sep 44, until departure from New York Port of Embarkation on 12 Sep 44. Arrived in France on 23 Sep 44; crossed into Belgium 31 Oct 44; crossed into Holland on the same date; entered Germany 29 Nov 44. Returned to New York on 11 Mar 46 and de-activated at Camp Kilmer, NJ on 12 Mar 46. Killed in Action: 932 Wounded in Action: 3,668 Died of Wounds: 145

Hope this helps.

John
    Last edited by Market Garden; 11-01-2003, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I'm with Market Garden in that I do not like the uniform. The 102nd was an Army Reserve Command in the 1980's. The HQ was in Missouri.
      Now, The guy is a first lieutenant, yet he has a Joint Commendation and a Legion of Merit! Wow! I know Colonels who never got a LOM!
      Also, a LT branched Military Intelligence would NEVER be issued a Combat Infantry Badge- besides there are no ribbons to support such an award.
      PASS!
      Allan

Comment

Allen:

Is that a LOM or a Purple Heart? I believe the ribbons are:

Purple Heart, Joint Service Commendation Medal, US Army Commendation Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Army Achievement Medal, US Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon and UN Medal.

John

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice guys, I think I'll pass on it.

I think thats a Purple heart but the colours look to be slightly distorted (sp?) from the photo.

The same seller is also selling a Marine corps Jacket

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/0...on-6701754.htm

Not one I'm looking to buy, but is this a smilar thing trying to improve a jacket? A marine with para wings - in World War 2!?

Comment

Yes, there were Para-Marines in WW2 and they were deployed in combat. The person to ask on that would be Eric Queen.

The Marine uniform is an interesting one, it may or may not be genuine, my guess is not original . . . I could be wrong. That style was used for a number of years, before WW2 and past.

As to the ribbons they are all appropriate to be awarded to a US Marine.

Top Row
            1. Navy Unit Commendation (1944)
            2. USMC Good Conduct Medal (1896)
            Bottom Row
            1. USMC Expeditionary Medal (1921-22)
            2. Philippine Liberation Medal (1945)
            3. Navy and MC Overseas Service Ribbon (1980s)

Four ribbons are from the WW2 'era' but of curent manufacture.

The ribbons of WW2 were 'fatter'.

I have no idea when the Para badge was instituted. But Marines have been wearing it for quite a while.

The marksmanship badges are correct, but probably repro.

Comment

Originally posted by David B
              Not one I'm looking to buy, but is this a smilar thing trying to improve a jacket? A marine with para wings - in World War 2!?
              Stay away from this one as well!

It was ALMOST reasonable, until the guy threw on a Phil Liberation ribbon!
              All the badges and such are correct for a modern-day Corporal who is "Naval Parachutist" qualified, except for that one ribbon.

More junk, sorry to say.

--Dave

Comment

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X