Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Photo of the "Timber Wolves" !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Photo of the "Timber Wolves" !!

I went to the local show at Napadak yesterday, and could not believe that I found this original photo, in the original frame for $5 !!!. Its of the communications platoon of the 104th Infantry Division, the "Timber Wolves", famous for their involvement in the "battle of the bulge" (where the were pretty much decimated ). What I really like about this photo ( which is 15 x 8 ) is, in addition to the Timbor Wolf patches ( some even locally made ( with the white borders ), and the guide on ( very cool ) is the fact that these guys are wearing "bloused" boots ( trousers tucked inside the boots ). This was a practice usually only done by paratroopers ( per my understanding ).

Anyway, thought is was neat so decided to show a section of it here.

EQ

Hi Eric,
    Thanks for sharing the photo. You usually cannot see any patches on these types of group photos. Which makes this one very desirable. I'll bet you wish it was a bunch of Marine Raiders instead though!
    "Great hunter yes! great fisherman yes! fine figure of a man yes! that is all you need to know" Jeremiah Johnson.

Comment

Eric-
      I believe that the guidon is for the 104th Signal Battalion, and not for a signals platoon. A Signals Battalion would be much smaller than a standard Infantry Battalion.
      Of special note on this photo is the soldier 2nd from left (not counting the partial guy) who evidently has the "Combat Leader" bar sewn on the sleeve, just below the chevron.
      Great photo, and thanks for sharing!
      Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan H.
        Eric-
        I believe that the guidon is for the 104th Signal Battalion, and not for a signals platoon. A Signals Battalion would be much smaller than a standard Infantry Battalion.
        Of special note on this photo is the soldier 2nd from left (not counting the partial guy) who evidently has the "Combat Leader" bar sewn on the sleeve, just below the chevron.
        Great photo, and thanks for sharing!
        Allan
        Thanks Allan and Jeff (yeah Jeff, I basically would have given my left n_t if it had been a Raider photo.... )

Allan, you could very well be right. I just thought it was for a platoon because of the size. There are only 35 guys in the photo ( maybe that is all that survived from the Batl.?? ) Can you tell me more about what this "combat leader" bar is?

Thanks again,

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Queen
          ....Can you tell me more about what this "combat leader" bar is?
          Thanks again,
          Eric
          Eric,
          Before the grass green Combat Leader tabs that are still worn on the shoulder straps of the Army uniform coat today, the army denoted a "Combat Leader" with a dark green cloth "bar" sewn to the sleeves of the coat.
          The practice was rather short lived in favor of going to the loop worn on the shoulder straps. The idea was for enlisted soldiers to be able to readily identify a sergeant that was to be paid attention to in a combat situation as opposed to following a supply sergeant or first cook.
          Allan

Comment

Hey Eric--
            My great uncle, Louis Suciu, was in the 104th but I have to ask him about the exact dates. He was transferred to that unit but I don't know when. I'll try and call him later today and ask. I'm thinking it must have been after the Bulge because I don't think he was there. He arrived in Normandy on June 7, 1944 but for the life of me I don't know what unit.

PS

Comment

EQ,

Can you re-post the photo? The link looks like it's dead.

My grandfather was with the 104th at the Battle of the Bulge, and was in signals (a graduate of the accelerated program at Niagra University).

Comment

Can you repost the pics please.

Comment

I sold the photo over a year ago.

Comment

EQ,

Do you have a link to where it is now?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X