• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bronze star

hi guys
    i'm trying to find more info from a bronze star receiver
    his name : daved A Woodbow
    also are there fake bronze star medals on the marked ?
    for the american collectors,the name woodbow is it a common name ?
    anyway i really want to know more about this soldier,so if you have info or a good webpage for a better research,it would make me happy when you leave a reply
    thanks in advance

glenn

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PwAiIMoWsM2YfyBV*r**4ePbS4!tT8tv4Je8VI1JDUU!!yGLC 9odr0OOxwRRSzNBKP*0jxMPn0K4V0Due0dSrZBLz1mhvf7B/medalbar-usa.jpg[/img]

Glenn,

If the medal is engraved in a fancy, I guess you could call it old-english, style script then it was offical government engraved. A lot of them that were engraved in this manner were to soldiers who were KIA. If it is not engraved like this, it probably was had done by the family. Some had dates or places put in as well. There are some fake Bronze Stars out there, but they dont have the quality of the originals, and the ribbon attachments are not the same. Im sorry but I cant give you any help in finding out info on him. A lot of times its just hit and miss with this. Sometimes you'll get lucky and be able to find something and others you'll never find a thing

Good luck
    Tyrel

Comment

thank tyrel
      the engraving is a normal style,so i suppose it was done by the owner or family self
      you are also right about the search,it's a bit dificult (i didn't found anything)
      the medal above is the one i'm talking about
      i suppose this is a good one,not ?
      so tyrel thank you for the reply and the info you gave

cheers glenn

Comment

Looks ok to me.

Was that picture there the whole time, I coulda sworn it wasnt there when I posted my first reply!

Anyway, it looks like you've got a nice grouping with the bronze star and victory medal.

Tyrel

Comment

As a footnote, Woodbow is not a common American name at all. Uncommon actually. Not a single one in our phonebook.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

it could be woodrow,the difference between B or R is not so clear on the medal

glenn

ps:the pic was there all the time Tyrel

Comment

Cicero...
              At the outset I'm afraid that I must respectfully disagree with Finkle. During the Second World War the US armed forces used a variety of engraving styles. Navy and Marine Corps Purple Hearts and Air Medals were often elaborately engraved at the begining of the war, while later those services often used a simpler engraving. As to the Army, which probably issued the greatest number of Bronze Stars, the engraving was of primarily three styles. At the outset the names were done in a simple block letter style, but engraved by hand. As time passed, while the engraving style remained the same, it was done with a machine. Towards the end of the war and afterwards, as many decorations were being sent out to returning veterans, there were a few engravers, who were based it seems only at the Philadelphia Quartermaster depot, who used a script style engraving, done by hand and usually at an angle. This engraver (or these engravers) are most noticeable for their engraving of Purple Hearts to Army Air Force personnel. It was his (their?) practice to engrave a winged propeller emblem beneath the name on these decorations. Often times this is so stylized that it simply looks like a decorative addition. However some years ago I began working with the late Colonel Al Gleim in an attempt to catalog the various styles and periods of World War II US Army engraving of decorations. Among other things we sent out questionaires to many American Medal collectors asking for information and photocopies. It was during this time that it was determined that the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot had a person or persons doing this stylized engraving. Up until that time many of us thought that these script engraved decorations were privately done, but they turned out to be official. Cicero, can you post a good photo of the back of the Bronze Star? I have a list of all Americans Killed in Action in WW II, and I'll check to see if it is a posthumous award once I have the name.

Comment

Thanks Bill
                i will post the pic's asap when i get home
                i really want to know more about the engraving etc
                so i'm looking forward for your info
                thanks and cheers from glenn

Comment

bill
                  the picture is not that good
                  but i think it will give you a idea

glenn

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0PQAlAPUVp6BssVeDxdWsl4iuxsIFGU0yQRww!bjxKziMy6tvF hmAMAxuShvWh!*GYbTp8JA*iZi1A36pYzVV60!vA9eX1G9m/bronze-st.jpg[/img]

Comment

"DavEd" is certainly strange, instead of DavId. I've checked Social Security deaths through May 2001, and no match.

That means: still alive or died without dependents' or widow's benefits being paid so no record kept of his own death. Or the name has been mangled from something like David Woodbaugh.

Comment

rick it looks strange yes

i get the feeling the engraving whas done by a former collector ,only for upgrading the value or for whatever stupid reason
                      the names daved and woodbow are indeed rather uncommon,so it tends to be not original (i hope i'm wrong)
                      for Bill ; i hope you recognize the engraving,in the hope you could solve this little mistery

glenn

Comment

Daved? Is that even a name? In any language?

It isnt even centered.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X